The Kaitlin Crossbody Purse pattern (with video)
Here is a beautiful and practical purse that is ideal for everyday use. It’s called the Kaitlin Crossbody Purse and has the following features:
- It’s fully lined
- Has two exterior slip pockets
- One exterior feature zip pocket on the front that’s perfect for your phone or other valuables
- One interior zip pocket for additional security.
You can sew your own adjustable strap for this bag to wear as a shoulder bag, cinch it up short to carry by hand as a purse or extend the strap out long to carry it as a crossbody bag. It also looks great if you want to use a ready-made purse strap too.
Here’s Jess from OklaRoots showing you how to make the awesome Kaitlin Crossbody Purse.
The simple narrow leather straps are affordable to buy and easy to just snap on to the tabs or d-rings on the sides of the purse.
Finished sizing: When you have finished making the Caitlin Crossbody Purse it will measure approximately 11″ wide by 10″ high by 3″ deep. This project is perfect for an advanced beginner sewer.
What you will need to make the Caitlin Crossbody Purse
- ½ yard of main fabric (allowance for the shoulder strap included)
- One fat quarter of contrast fabric for the front slip pocket
- ½ yard of lining fabric
- 1 yard of fusible woven interfacing (FS101) or ½ yard of UK equivalent Vilene G700 (36” wide)
- ½ yard of interlining (The designer uses duck canvas, calico or muslin, which is firm and gives body without adding weight to the purse). You can also use foam for a thicker effect
- Two 7” zippers in coordinating or contrasting colors
- One piece of leather strap ¾” wide by 25”
- One piece of sued or leather lace 6” long
- One 16 or 18mm (¾ inch) magnetic snap closure
- Two ¾” metal D rings
- Two ¾” metal swivel clasps
- Two 6-8mm rivets for the leather shoulder strap (short)
- One 1¾” metal strap slider and two 6-8mm (¼ inch) rivets for the adjustable long strap. If you don’t want to use rivets then the strap ends can be stitched instead
- Basic sewing supplies
- A sewing machine.
If you decide to add this purse pattern to your stash (which you can download by clicking on the link below) you will receive a step-by-step photo tutorial along with full-scale pattern templates. Instructions are also included for making a clip-on leather shoulder strap and an adjustable, long fabric strap for wearing the purse crossbody.
Our Very Best Patterns
Looking for the best of the best bag sewing patterns? This article is one of the TOP 20 Most Visited on the Sew Modern Bags site in the last 12 months. Here is the full list of our Top 20 most popular patterns to sew:
- Japanese Knot Bag
- Farmers Market Everyday Tote Bag – free
- Sofia Cinch-Up Makeup Bag
- Fold Up Tote Bag – free
- Sew your own lunch bag – free video
- Devon Zipper Pouch Carry Along sewing case – free
- Ultimate Carry All Bag
- Mini Crossbody Bag Cell Phone
- Wallets – Best 18 – free
- Honeycomb Basket
- Everyday Attache Bag
- The Kaitlin Crossbody Purse
- Easy Zipper Pouch in 5 sizes
- Bubble Pods
- The Itsi Bag – small sling for your essentials
- The Big Bag Tote
- Brancaster Messenger Bag
- The Essential Pouch in 4 sizes
- Project Bucket Bag
- Purse Organizer