All posts may contain affiliate links.
This pouch, the Essential Pouch is a great project for a beginner sewer, and a quick and stress-free sew for someone more experienced.
The designer has been very flexible giving instructions on how to make the Essential Pouch in four different sizes. Each one is perfectly balanced and proportioned to look just right no matter which size you choose.
The approximate finished sizes (width on the bottom, height, depth) for each of the pouches are as follows:
- Small – 5 ½” by 3 ½” by 1 ½”
- Medium – 7″ by 5″ by 2″
- Large – 8 ½” by 6″ by 2 ½”
- Extra-large – 8 ¾” by 7″ by 3″
Don’t have a printer? No worries with this pattern because it’s a measure and cut pattern, which means you don’t need to print out (and tape together) paper templates. Just measure, mark and cut the pattern right there on the fabric. We recommend a quilting ruler, rotary cutter and Frixion pens (heat erasable fabric markers).
What you will need to make the Essential Pouch:-
- Exterior fabric – pick a pretty quilting cotton,
- Contrasting bottom fabric, solids look good,
- Lining fabric – another quilting cotton of your choice,
- Medium weight fusible interfacing,
- Metal or nylon zipper (6″ for small, 8″ for medium, 10″ for large, 11″ for extra-large),
- Basic sewing supplies,
- Sewing machine.
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the light blue button below. And if you would like to see other bag sewing patterns from this designer then you can click on the red button below.
Grab the set of 4 patterns here
See all the patterns by this designer here
Our Very Best Patterns
Looking for the best of the best bag sewing patterns? This article is one of the TOP 20 Most Visited on the Sew Modern Bags site in the last 12 months. Here is the full list of our Top 20 most popular patterns to sew:
- Japanese Knot Bag
- Farmers Market Everyday Tote Bag – free
- Sofia Cinch-Up Makeup Bag
- Fold Up Tote Bag – free
- Sew your own lunch bag – free video
- Devon Zipper Pouch Carry Along sewing case – free
- Ultimate Carry All Bag
- Mini Crossbody Bag Cell Phone
- Wallets – Best 18 – free
- Honeycomb Basket
- Everyday Attache Bag
- The Kaitlin Crossbody Purse
- Easy Zipper Pouch in 5 sizes
- Bubble Pods
- The Itsi Bag – small sling for your essentials
- The Big Bag Tote
- Brancaster Messenger Bag
- The Essential Pouch in 4 sizes
- Project Bucket Bag
- Purse Organizer
MORE zipper bag sewing patterns here ->
Do you want lots more zipper bag sewing pattern
ideas? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite zipper bag sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.