All posts may contain affiliate links.
This is the Florida Beach Bag sewing pattern. This is a good-sized casual bag to sew that is perfect for that happy time at the beach.
There is something essentially romantic about a retro dilly bag for the beach. This one is not overly large – it doesn’t fit a huge towel in but it is perfectly sized for the essentials – a drink, sunscreen, and a good read. It has room for a cover-up too and other things which make the beach a happy place.
Not going to the beach? Doesn’t matter, feel like you are on a tropical island and take this one shopping! It has a drawstring cord that turns it into a shoulder bag and some handy pockets that allow for the needs of a shopping trip.
The Florida Beach Bag has some great features:-
- A drawstring cord closure with a leather or vegan leather stop,
- There are eyelets around the top edge,
- Inside you will find two-lined slip pockets,
- The front features a zipper box pocket,
- (The pattern includes detailed tips on how to sew the zipper box pockets and the lined slip pockets).
When you have finished making yourself a Florida Beach Bag it will measure approximately 15” high with a 10” base diameter.
The designer, The Folk Art Factory, rates her project as suitable for a confident beginner sewer.
And for the fabric, she recommends that you use quilting weight cotton, denim, canvas, furnishing fabrics, linen, needlecord.
What you will need to make a Florida Beach Bag:-
- ½ yard of bright printed canvas for the outer,
- ¾ yard of coordinating cotton for the lining,
- ¾ yard of style-vil foam interfacing (Vlieseline),
- One fat 8th S320 fusible interfacing for the internal pockets (Vlieseline),
- One 6” metal zipper for the outer. Don’t forget to match the teeth to your eyelet color,
- Eleven 14mm gold eyelets,
- A scrap of leather or vegan leather 5” by 10”,
- 2 ½ yards of 6mm hemp rope or similar cord,
- Coordinating threads for all fabrics and trims,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
This is a cut-and-measure pattern, so no printing is needed. If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the blue button below.
Click here for the pattern
And if you would like to see other bag sewing patterns from this designer then you can click on the red button below.
See more patterns from this designer here
Keep organized with these storage and project bag ideas to sew
Want even more project bags, storage and organizers to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here is a sample selection you might like. Check them all out in our shop.