All posts may contain affiliate links.
Here’s another example of how using the right hardware can really make a bag look great. You can get some really pretty purse frames these days and by adding a fabric bag in a print of your choice, you have a quick but structured bag that can look store-bought.
Many purse frames are small and ideal for clutch bags or coin purses, but buy a larger one and you can create Big and Beautiful Betty here from U-Handbag. The ruffle is optional so if you want something soft and romantic like this example, it’s fine. But for something for a teen perhaps in a trendy fabric, or for a more structured or classic look for an evening bag, you can leave off the ruffle. Instructions are provided both ways.
I’m presently making up one for my niece. She wants one in a more classic dark and glitter fabric to use as an evening bag. I’ll be making it with a removable chain strap so she can wear it while dancing or remove the chain and use it as a clutch too.
Materials for this bag:
- 1 x Silver Oversized purse frame with loops
- 2 x 1/2in (13mm) Bolt Snaps
- 1 x small mag snap (optional)
- 1 yrd (1m) purse making cord – see step 11
- 1/2 yard (1/2m) of fabric for the exterior
- 1/2 yard (1/2m) of fabric for the lining
- 1/2 yard (1/2m) of SF101 fusible woven interfacing (use woven, it’s stronger and this bigger bag needs the strength).
- 1/2 yard (1/2m) of fusible fleece
- V. strong fabric glue – we recommend this Gutermann Glue for all glue-in purse frames
- A walking foot is also dead handy if you are going to sew a frill
Click here for the free pattern
Downloading this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.
Want MORE Free sewing patterns?
Want to find more FREE sewing patterns
for bags and more? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite FREE sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.
This one wasn't quite right for you? What about these instead?
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a sample selection you might like. Check them all out in our shop.