All posts may contain affiliate links.
The Urban Tote Bag is a minimalist but stylish shoulder tote bag that looks equally great in your favorite vinyl or in a pretty printed cotton or cork. We love its simple elegance.
The Urban tote is a soft-sided, stylish, yet functional, minimalist tote bag. There are two deep pockets on the front, with the choice of a magnetic snap or a zipper closure. The shoulder straps have an 11” drop allowing plenty of room for the extra bulk of sweaters and coats.
The interior has a vinyl or leather-trimmed zipper pocket, and a slip pocket that is divided into three sections for sunglasses, cell phone, and a pen.
This tote is perfect for everyday use, or for traveling with all those extra items. Whatever way you use your tote, you will find it to be the perfect size.
This pattern is designed for those from confident beginner to intermediate sewing abilities.
When you have made yourself an Urban Tote Bag it will measure approximately 11″ wide by 12″ high by 4″ deep, with a strap drop of 11″.
The designer has written the instructions for this pattern for both vinyl and leather. But she also says that the Urban Tote Bag looks fantastic in decorator fabrics, cork, and other cottons. If you are looking to advance your skills and investigate sewing with leather, then this is the perfect pattern for you, as you can replace the vinyl straps with leather, and begin your journey into leather sewing.
What you will need to make an Urban Tote Bag:-
- ¾ yard of exterior vinyl or 7½ square feet of leather,
- ¾ yard of lining fabric, 44” wide,
- 2 yards of fusible medium weight woven interfacing for lining pieces (based on 20” wide),
- Kraftex – 2 pieces 7” by 4”,
- Texon/Bontex (bag stiffener). One piece 11” by 4½” (to be trimmed down),
- Foam/Fleece. One piece 11” wide by 4” (to be trimmed down),
- 18mm magnetic snap (optional magnetic snap closure),
- 14” #5 metal or nylon zipper (optional zipper closure),
- Nine rivets or Chicago screws,
- 1-yard of heavyweight sew-in interfacing (for leather strap option),
- Front label – optional,
- 7” #3 nylon zipper (interior zipper pocket),
- Metal zipper end (optional if you are not using vinyl or leather tab for your zipper closure),
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
The pattern consists of 80 pages that include detailed instructions with more than 200 color photographs, as well as all pattern pieces to make the Urban Tote. If you would like to download the pattern then click on the light blue button below.
Click here for the pattern
The designer, Maggy 55 Patterns, has a number of other bag sewing patterns that you can view below by clicking on the red button.
Click here for the Maggy 55 Patterns
More ideas for purses and handbags to sew
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.