SUNrise Pouch sewing pattern (2 sizes)
This is the SUNrise Pouch pdf sewing pattern from the designer The In Complete Stitch.
This is a versatile pouch pattern that comes in two heights, cropped and tall. The designer has made this pattern with an amazing 13 variations if you mix and match all of the options for these zipper bags. That should be enough to keep you busy sewing for a while – and all from the same pattern.
This Pouch has a circular graphic forming a PiecedSUN, a Front Pocket SUNflap (securing an external pocket), or a Fold Over SUNflap. This project can be made as a simple pouch but offers lots of playful options.
The main zipper closure uses a 25 cm closed-ended zip finished with neat zip end tabs.
This excellent tutorial walks you through each step needed to make all of the options, including an internal zipped welt pocket and an internal SUNpatch pocket. We love learning tips about how to sew various different styles of pockets – its the one thing that you can easily take from a pattern and transfer over to another bag to add your own style or options to a pattern.
The designer rates her project as suitable for a confident beginner sewer.
When you have finished making your very own SUNrise Pouches they will measure approximately:
- The Cropped SUNrise = 5″ (13 cm) tall, 11″ (28 cm) wide at the top, 8½” (22 cm) wide at the base, and 1½” (6 cm) deep at the base.
- The Tall SUNrise = 7″ (18 cm) tall, 11″ (28 cm) wide at the top, 8½” (22 cm) wide at the base, and 1½” (6 cm) deep at the base.
What’s needed to make a SUNrise Pouch:
- Outer fabric – quantities of fabric vary depending on size, option, and color blocking choices. The most “fabric hungry” option requires 14″ (35 cm) of 42″ (110 cm) wide fabric. The designer recommends you use oilskin/waxed canvas, mid-heavy weight canvas, denim.
- Lining fabric – quantities of fabric vary depending on size, option, and color blocking choices. The most “fabric hungry” option requires 23″ (58 cm) of 42″ (110cm) wide fabric. The designer recommends you use medium-lightweight cotton, quilting cotton, linen.
- Notions required include (depending on your option choice):
- 25 cm closed-ended zip (or 27 cm length of a continuous zip and zipper pull).
- Optional: a magnetic snap closure or KAM snap fixing.
- Optional Internal Welt Zip: 15 cm closed-ended zip (or 18 cm length of a continuous zip and zipper pull).
- Denim needle/needle suitable for your fabric choice.
- Basic sewing supplies.
- A sewing machine.
Check out our handy RESOURCES PAGE here you can find a great list of suppliers for fabric, interfacing and hardware.
This listing is for a digital product and not a finished item and is written in English only. The digital download includes a zipped filr containing a detailed, extensive, illustrated step-by-step tutorial to guide you in confidently sewing your own SUNrise. There’s a tiled print at home PDF pattern (A4 & letter), an A0 copyshop pattern, and a layered PDF projector file.
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the blue button below.