All posts may contain affiliate links.
Here’s your chance to create your own beautiful everyday purse named the Melinda Handbag. You can click on the link below to get the pattern. This is a nice easy tote style purse which is open on the top except for a simple magnetic snap closure. It’s the perfect pattern to start with if you are a beginner to bag making, or the perfect base pattern for the more experienced sewer to add on your own design ideas, extra pockets, some fancy handles and more.
The Melinda Handbag can be made by an advanced beginner sewer and has the following features:-
- two exterior slip pockets.
- one interior zipper pocket.
- one interior slip pocket.
- a magnetic snap closure.
- a removable, adjustable strap.
When finished Melinda is 12” wide by 11” tall by 5” deep.
The topstitching could be a really nice feature on this bag if you are feeling confident. Maybe try a bright contrasting color for your thread to really bring out the classic strong lines of the design. We were thinking a cotton fabric that had the look of denim (but wasn’t as thick) and then a bright yellow topstitching thread to make it look like jeans. The rivet at the top of the pockets would finish off the look perfectly.
What you will need to make the Melinda Handbag:-
- 3/4 yard of fabric for the main exterior & strap,
- One fat quarter (18″ by 21″) of fabric for the exterior pocket & handles,
- 1 yard of fabric for the lining,
- 2 ¾ yards SF 101 interfacing (or other medium weight fusible interfacing of choice),
- 1/2 yard of interlining fabric (solid colored denim, duck canvas, or foam interfacing),
- One 9” long metal or nylon zipper,
- One 16 mm or 18 mm magnetic snap closure,
- Two 1” wide D – rings,
- One 1” wide rectangular strap slider,
- Two 1” wide swivel hooks,
- Six 6-8 mm rivets (optional),
- One 3/4” by 1 ¾” strip of leather for pocket accent (optional),
- Basic sewing supplies,
- Sewing machine.
Click here for the Melinda Handbag pattern
See all the patterns from this designer here
This isn't quite what you are looking for? We have links to thousands of bag sewing patterns, tutorials, sewing videos and tips and lots more on our Pinterest account. Come and follow us, and save some of your favorites to your own boards for later.
This one wasn't quite right for you? What about these instead?
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a sample selection you might like. Check them all out in our shop.