All posts may contain affiliate links.
This pattern & tutorial shows you how to make a lovely structured clutch purse with a beautiful woven front & gently curved top detail reminiscent of vintage glamour.
We simply adore the intricate and interesting fabric engineering that is an integral part of the sewing patterns from Constructivism. Each and every purse you make will be a real conversation starter.
It’s closed with a sunken/ hidden zip construction for a clean, professional-looking finish. The clutch is fully lined & has an internal credit card sized pocket for extra practicality.
The finished clutch will measure approximately 11″ (28cm) wide by 7″ (18cm) tall with a 3″ (7.5cm) deep base at the widest part. It makes a practical size for weddings, parties or dressed-up daytime wear.
The designer rates this pattern as an intermediate to advanced level sewing project as there are just over 100 steps in the instructions which need to be followed carefully. However, as with all of her patterns, nothing is assumed and every step is very clearly described and illustrated so that confident, patient beginners are able to follow also.
This sewing pattern has one file where there are 16 pages of clear step-by-step instructions with photographs and diagrams for every step, and a second file with accurate, computer drawn patterns.
If you wish to add an interesting zip pull, like the red tassel on the pink colored clutch purse then the designer has added a free tutorial that you can follow to make one for yourself to add to your clutch purse.
The designer mentions that this design would suit medium to heavyweight satins such as duchess, shantung, brocades, jacquards or cottons and canvas…or lighter weight fabrics with the addition of some fusible interfacing to add body. It is not so suitable for fabrics which crease heavily, such as pure linens.
What you will need to make the Clutch Purse with Weave Detail
- 3/8 yard (35cm) of the main fabric
- 1/4 yard (25cm) of lining fabric, or a fat quarter piece
- Mid-weight fusible woven interfacing, eg: Pellon shape flex woven fusible #sf-101 (USA) comes in 20” width – you need 80cm (7/8 yd) or 110 cm (1 1/4 yd) if also interfacing the lining. Vilene woven fusible g700 (European) comes in 90cm width -you will need 50cm (1/2 yd) or 70cm (3/4 yd) if also interfacing lining.
- Non-fusible very heavy stiffener, eg: Pellon peltex 70 sew-in ultra-firm (USA) comes in 20” width -you need 46cm (1/2 yd). Vilene extra-heavy sew-in S-80 (European) comes in 90cm width -you need 25cm (10”)
- One zip: minimum 35cm/14” length
- Zip puller: something to tie or attach to the cursor on your zip, eg. ribbon, leather strip, tassel, beads….
- 1 1/2 yards (1.5 metres) of fusible hemming tape
- Basic sewing supplies
- A sewing machine.
Click here for the pattern
See all the patterns by this designer