All posts may contain affiliate links.
Here’s a great pattern for a bag that can be worn two different ways, either as a bag around your waist or as a bag slung over your shoulder. It’s called The Orchid Waist/Sling Bag.
The Orchid Waist/Sling Bag has the following features:-
- A front exterior pocket that closes with a flap
- The flap also has a built-in zipper pocket on the front
- On the inside, there are 2 slip pockets
- The strap is adjustable and clips on at one end to quickly attach it around your waist or back
- The bag has a main zippered closure.
And if you chose the fabrics carefully this project could be unisex.
When finished The Orchid Waist/Sling Bag will measure approximately 11 1/2 inches (29 cm) wide by 8 1/2 inches (21.6 cm) high.
This project is best suited for intermediate sewers but a confident beginner could give it a try. This project will take around 3 hours to make.
What you will need to make The Orchid Waist/Sling Bag:-
- ¾ of a yard of exterior fabric eg. quilting cotton, canvas, denim, home décor weight,
- Interface accordingly – quilt weight cotton will need more interfacing,
- ¾ of a yard of quilting weight cotton for the lining fabric,
- 1 1/2 yards of ShapeFlex or fusible interfacing of your choice,
- ¼ of a yard of fusible interfacing for the straps,
- One fat quarter of Peltex interfacing (sew-in or fusible will work)
- One fat quarter of fusible fleece interfacing,
- Two 1-inch D rings – see our resources page for our recommended hardware suppliers,
- One 1-inch capable swivel clasp,
- One 1-inch rectangle slide,
- One 8-inch zipper,
- One 10-inch zipper,
- One 18 mm magnetic snap,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- Sewing machine.
Click here for the pattern
This isn't quite what you are looking for? We have links to thousands of bag sewing patterns, tutorials, sewing videos and tips and lots more on our Pinterest account. Come and follow us, and save some of your favorites to your own boards for later.
Keep organized with these storage and project bag ideas to sew
Want even more project bags, storage and organizers to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here is a sample selection you might like. Check them all out in our shop.