The Malibu Satchel – free sewing tutorial
The Fabric Mutt creates this amazing Malibu Satchel for us with clear step by step instructions and no need to download any pattern pieces. You can cut all the pieces of fabric from the cutting directions so no need to print out or download anything for this handy bag.
There’s a removable cross-body/shoulder strap combined with a smaller carrying handle on the top for when you are on the go. An inside pocket holds your phone easily to hand and the details on the bag make it look fun yet professional.
The webbing handles are quick and easy to make, functional and strong so no matter how much you are dragging around, this sturdy bag can cope with it.
For her hardware accents, the designer went with an antique brass finish which nicely complements the denim. She ended up using circle rings for the side loops, but you can substitute d-rings or rectangular rings if you like.
When you have finished making your own version of the Malibu Satchel it will measure approximately 9″ by 10″ by 3″. This makes a bag that is just the right size.
The designer decided on the name Malibu Satchel since it has the carefree vibe of that lovely beach community.
What you will need to make a Malibu Satchel:–
- 1/2 yard of denim for the bag exterior,
- 1/2 yard of cotton fabric for the bag lining and flap accent
- 1/4 yard of different cotton fabric for the interior pocket,
- 1/2 yard of batting/fusible fleece for interfacing,
- 2 yards of off white cotton webbing, 1″ wide,
- 2 d-rings, circle rings, or rectangular rings for the side loops,
- 2 lobster clasps for the crossbody strap, 1″ wide,
- 1 magnetic closure for the flap,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
Click here for the free tutorial
Liking this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.