The Helen Bag sewing pattern
The Helen Bag sewing pattern has been designed specifically to safely and securely hold an iPad or other tablet, and A4 or Letter sized documents and folders. This DIY soft briefcase sewing pattern is ideal for taking to the office or college, or if you just need to take your tech to a coffee shop or friends house.
It has a padded internal pocket to carry and protect your iPad and a roomy interior that will easily hold documents, a diary, and a planner. It has a quilted feature pocket on the front divided into two and another on the back that will take sheets of paper. As well as the interior iPad pocket it has an additional internal pocket that could be divide to hold pens, or a phone and some tissues whatever fits your need.
This bag would be ideal for taking to meetings or lectures. It would suit either sex depending on the fabric choices made.
The ideal fabric for this bag is a firm woven fabric with an even weave such as cotton or cotton canvas.
If you want to give your bag a professional finish you can invest in ‘bag furniture’ e.g. D-rings and trigger clips and brass zips. This bag is a nice one to make, the instructions are in color and break the process down into simple steps.
When you have made a Helen Bag it will measure approximately 13 1/2″ wide by 10″ high and 3 1/2″ deep.
The designer, Boutique Unique Design, rates her project as suitable for an intermediate sewer who can insert a zip, insert piping, and add binding. Full instructions are given.
What you will need to make a Helen Bag:-
- Main fabric 1/2 yard of 45″ wide,
- Feature fabric one fat quarter,
- Lining 1/2 yard of 60″ wide,
- Sew in heavy interfacing 1/2 yard of 45″ wide,
- Wadding 2oz weight 1/2 yard of 45″ wide,
- Two trigger clips 1″ wide,
- One 20″ zipper,
- Two metal D-rings 1″ wide,
- Cotton – Matching threads or contrast colors for topstitching as desired,
- Bias binding 1″ – 4 yards,
- Fabric if own made piping, one fat quarter,
- One adjuster buckle 1″ wide,
- Piping cord or piping 4 &1/2 yards,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the blue button below.
And if you would like to see other bag sewing patterns from this designer then you can click on the red button below.