All posts may contain affiliate links.
This roomy tote bag has a cute drawstring top to keep things safe inside. Use it as a purse, a project bag, a lunch bag – it’s great for all sorts of things.
This is your chance to create your own fabulously roomy and spacious tote bag, with a fabulous Japanese-inspired drawstring closure. The drawstring top makes a nice change from a zipper closure, and is ideal if you aren’t so keen on sewing zippers. It also make a very versatile bag that can be used for lots of different things, and has a fun, casual design.
The Somerset Tote Bag sewing pattern comes in two sizes. The small size works great as an everyday tote bag, while the large size makes a perfect shopping bag. We think these would make the ideal project bags too. Yarn crafters love the drawstring top for allowing yarn to unwind neatly while knitting or crocheting.
Features of the Somerset Tote Bag:-
- Japanese inspired drawstring closure,
- Pleated slip pocket on the inside of the bag,
- Two sizes to fit your needs,
- Additional fabric handle instructions.
The designer, Sotak Co, rates her pattern as suitable for a beginner sewer.
When you have finished making yourself each of the Somerset Tote Bags they will measure approximately:-
- Small = 11″ tall by 11″ wide on the bottom by 6″ deep.
- Large = 13″ tall by 13″ wide on the bottom by 7″ deep.
What you will need to make a Somerset Tote Bag (the small bag):-
- 1/2 a yard of fabric A for the main exterior,
- 1/4 of a yard of fabric B for the drawstring closure,
- 3/4 of a yard of fabric C for the lining,
- 1/2 a yard of fusible fleece (the designer uses Pellon 987F),
- Two 24″ long strips of 1″ wide webbing for the handles*,
- Two 40″ long cotton cord or ribbon,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
The designer has included additional instructions in case you prefer making your own fabric handles instead.
When you download the pattern you will receive nine pages of clear, easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions and color photos to make these wonderful tote bags. Please note, this is a MEASURE AND CUT PATTERN meaning all pattern pieces are cut using a cutting mat, rotary cutter, and ruler. No printed templates are needed to make this bag.
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the blue button below.
Click here for the pattern
And if you would like to see other bag sewing patterns from this designer then you can click on the red button below.
See all the patterns from this designer here
Sew more tote bags and you'll be happier - we promise 😉
When you just need to sew and don't want to get into a really complicated project, you can't beat a classic sewing pattern for a tote bag. We've got 50 of our favorite tote bag patterns hand-picked for you in the store. Go to the shop page to find them all saved by category.