The Dallas Handbag pattern
[UPDATE – this pattern and store are no longer on Etsy and we haven’t been able to find the pattern anywhere else. Sorry to disappoint you, sometimes shops close and patterns disappear and those things on external sites are outside of our control. We hope you can find the perfect alternative here in our PURSE SEWING PATTERNS CATEGORY.]
Here’s the Dallas Handbag pattern that features an interesting V-shaped accent on the front and back of the handbag, a zippered closure, adjustable shoulder strap, and a lot of interior pockets.
The Dallas handbag can be made in several variations, as follows:-
- All fabric.
- Cork/vinyl/faux leather bottom and fabric top.
- Leather bottom and fabric top.
- All leather top and bottom.
We think this bag looks stylish with a solid color on the bottom, and then you can either stick with the classic look with solid on top too (same or contrasting color), or switch out the top to something bright and patterned, maybe a fabric with a large feature design.
The designer would like to point out that if you decide to use any fabric mentioned above, except leather, then you can construct your Dallas Handbag using a domestic sewing machine with the proper needle. If you decide to incorporate leather into your bag then you will most likely need a heavy duty industrial type sewing machine. But if you sew with real leather already, you’ll know if your machine can cope with the layers.
When you have finished making your Dallas Handbag it will measure approximately 12″ long by 10″ tall by 3″ deep.
What you will need to make a Dallas Handbag:-
- 1/2 a yard of exterior contrasting fabric for the base and bottom,
- 1/2 a yard of exterior contrasting fabric for the straps and strap connectors,
- 1-yard of lining fabric,
- 2-yards of woven fusible interfacing (Pellon SF101 or Wonderfuse),
- 11 1/2″ by 3″ piece of fusible Peltex or Decovil Heavy,
- 8″ by 8″ piece of thin cotton quilt batting or fusible fleece,
- 1/4 of a yard of Flex Foam, Soft and Stable, Decovil Light or other stabilizer, based on your material choices,
- Bag size #5 zipper at least 16″ long,
- Dress size #3 zipper at least 8″ long,
- A 1 1/2″ triglide/slider
- Two either 1 1/2″ or 1 3/4″ swivel hooks (clasps),
- Eight long 12mm rivets,
- Two 1 1/4″ or 1 1/2″ D rings,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
If you would like to add the Dallas Handbag pattern to your collection you can click on the button below. The pattern instructions contain lots of helpful pictures and the designer is always available for questions or help as you construct your bag.