All posts may contain affiliate links.
It’s not very often on Sew Modern Bags that we recommend a bag pattern that is named after a movie. This is a digital sewing pattern for The Brief Encounter Bag, named after the classic 1945 film of the same title.
This is a best-selling pattern for this designer and you can see why with its elegant curved shape, pretty pleating at the front and back, and stylized bow trim. What a really pretty shape, so feminine and yet it’s a fairly large bag for everything you need to carry.
The Brief Encounter Bag can be made from one fabric or two contrasting fabrics. It is quite a dressy style but works well for daywear in linen or tweed type fabrics. Of course you can use other fabrics of your choice too, such as cottons, suede, thin denim, and more.
If you would like to add a large interior pocket then the designer has included instructions with the pattern.
When finished The Brief Encounter Bag is approximately 14” (35cm) high by 14” (35cm) wide by 3.5” (9cm) wide at the base.
What you will need to make The Brief Encounter Bag:
- 2/3 yard (60cm) of 60” (154cm) wide or 1 yard (95cm) of 44” (112cm) wide exterior fabric
- To make with a contrast top and bow:
- ½ yard (45cm) of 60” (154cm) or ¾ yard (65cm) of 44” (112cm) wide main exterior fabric ¼” yard (25cm) of 60” (154cm) or 1/3 yard of (112cm) wide contrast fabric
- For all combinations:
- ¾ yard (65cm) of 44” (112cm) wide lining fabric
- 2/3 yard (50cm) of 44” (112cm) wide firm sew-in interfacing
- 2/3 yard (65cm) of 36” (92cm) wide fusible interfacing
- A piece of plastic canvas approximately 10” by 3” (25cm by 8cm)
- One magnetic snap
- Thread to match the fabric
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine.
Click here for the pattern
These are our most popular purse and handbag sewing patterns
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.