All posts may contain affiliate links.
The Suburbanite Handbag has a traditional tote shape and simple lines, but the corded handles and single adjustable shoulder strap provide a classy twist. There are several exterior and interior pockets to keep you organized. The purse can be closed with either two magnetic snaps or a zipper. The finishing method is unique and simple to execute.
The Suburbanite can be made in three sizes:-
- The small is perfect for carrying the basics,
- The medium is a great everyday bag,
- The large is roomy enough for a small laptop.
This pattern is suitable for confident beginners or intermediate bag sewers.
When you have finished making your own Suburbanite it will measure approximately:-
- Small = 12” wide at top (30.5 cm), 10.5” wide at base (26.7 cm), 10” tall (25.4 cm), 3” deep (7.6 cm).
- Medium = 14” wide at top (35.6 cm), 12” wide at base (30.5 cm), 12” tall (30.5 cm), 4” deep (10 cm).
- Large = 17” wide at top (43 cm), 15” wide at base (38 cm), 15” tall (38 cm), 5” deep (12.7 cm).
What you will need to make a Suburbanite Handbag:-
- The exact amount of fabric you will need will depend on which size of bag you choose,
- Exterior fabric, accent fabric, interior fabric,
- Woven fusible interfacing,
- Fusible fleece.
- Foam interfacing,
- Peltex interfacing,
- One #5 zipper or two 18 mm magnetic snaps,
- One #5 or #3 zipper,
- Two 1” D-rings,
- Two 1”-1.5” swivel hooks,
- One slider for the adjustable strap,
- 1/2” cording,
- Optional purse feet,
- Optional rivets,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
This pattern includes 27 pages of instructions, with detailed illustrations. There are 16 pages of the Small printable pattern, 22 for the Medium, and 27 for the Large, but the piece dimensions are also included in a cut chart if you don’t want to print the whole pattern. Pattern instructions are given in both inches and centimeters. This can be printed on Letter or A4 paper.
Click here to get the pattern
More patterns from this designer
More ideas for purses and handbags to sew
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.