All posts may contain affiliate links.
This is an absolutely fabulous shoulder tote bag with a single shoulder strap and a large inner zipper pocket.
With the Sew Compleat Shoulder Tote pattern, you can use up loads of your fabric scraps that you’ve kept back for that awesome project you’ve been waiting for. The outer pleating allows you to create a beautifully textured effect.
By just having a simple magnetic snap to keep the Sew Compleat Bag closed, it means this project is nice and easy, and therefore suitable for an advanced beginner sewer.
The finished size of the Sew Compleat Tote Bag is 9.5″ high by 13″ wide by 3″ deep. The finished width of the centre pleat is:-
- Narrow option = 1.5″ (4 cm),
- Wide option = 3.5″ (9 cm).
The materials you will need to make the Sew Compleat Tote Bag are:-
- Outer fabric for pieced AND non-pieced options (i.e. quilting cotton),
- Outer fabric for contrast panel, gusset, strap and piping (i.e. quilting cotton),
- Fabric for lining and inner zipper pocket,
- Soft and Stable Foam Interfacing or Flex-Foam or Fusible Fleece,
- Light-Medium Weight Fusible Interfacing (i.e. Pellon Shapeflex SF101),
- Firm fusible stabilizer (i.e. Pellon’s Peltex #71F),
- One magnetic snap,
- Two rectangle rings,
- One coordinating 8″ zipper,
- Cotton cording or the equivalent of premade piping,
- Coordinating thread, scissors and basic sewing supplies.
Check out our RESOURCES PAGE full of great recommendations and links for fabric stores and suppliers, interfacing and stabilizers, hardware resources, and zippers.
This Tote Bag comes to you courtesy of Andrie Designs. The pattern comes with two files – the pattern instructions/pieced pattern pages, and a large print pattern pieces file suitable for printing at your local print shop on the correct sized paper. It has eight pages of clear, detailed instructions. It is suitable for an advanced beginner sewer. All pattern pieces have been digitally drawn. Wary of zippers? Don’t be! Throughout the pattern, the designer gives detailed and comprehensive instructions and diagrams to make adding the zipper an easy and stress-free experience.
You can download the digital pattern by clicking on the button below.
Click here for the pattern
More Tote Bags to sew
Everyone needs (a lot) more than one tote bag. They are a staple pattern in every sewing pattern collection and so versatile and adaptable. Check out a few recent tote bag patterns to sew from our store.