Hexagon Tetris Tote Bag FREE sewing pattern & tutorial
[UPDATE – this tutorial is no longer available. We checked the link today and the site is now closed. So disappointing, but this happens sometimes when old blogs are no longer maintained. We hope you will like one of the other tote bag patterns we have on the site here – TOTE BAG SEWING PATTERNS.]
Here a great project for a beginner sewer where the pattern and tutorial are FREE.
The Hexagon Tetris Tote Bag is a very simple project where if you like you can just start by going out and buying a plain canvas Tote Bag. Amazon and some of the large supermarkets sell them in both individually and in packs, or you could of course just make yourself the most basic Tote Bag and then the fun begins.
You must decide on what color and size of hexagons you wish to use, how many hexagons and whether you add them to both sides of your bag. You will be appliqueing the hexagons onto your canvas bag and the designer has a super fast way of appliqueing which makes it look like you have totally slaved away doing needle turn when in fact you are sewing your hexagons onto Pellon interfacing and creating the illusion of English paper or needle turn applique.
What you will need to make the Hexagon Tetris Tote Bag:-
- One canvas tote bag
- A variety of 5″ squares of fabric – get a pretty 5-inch charm pack here. In the example shown 9 squares of fabric were used. However, if you use smaller hexes, you can get more from one block. If you make larger hexes you will need larger pieces of fabric
- A Hexagon Ruler to create a 4.5″ hexagon template
- A Quilter’s Plastic Template 12″ by 12″ – three-pack
- Pellon fusible lightweight interfacing – or we recommend trying Wonder Under to fuse the appliques in place
- Thread in the color of your blocks for the applique part of the project
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine.
Pattern no longer available – sorry
Liking this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.