The wasp bag free sewing pattern
An oldie but goodie we came across this week. Sadly the site looks to be no longer active but the pattern download and instructions are still available for this cool bag.
Called the Wasp Bag because of the fabric in the original, you won’t get ‘stung’ if you decide to make up this free pattern.
A large soft-bodied bag, it has an interesting strap with button detail and two shoulder straps. You can download the free pattern and step by step instructions from Machen Machen by clicking on the button below.
When you have finished making your own Wasp Bag it will measure approximately 18″ (46 cm) by 14″ (36 cm) by 5″ (12 cm). All dimensions in the pattern are in centimetres (cm) with approximate imperial measurements. Seam allowances of 3/8″ (1 cm) are included in all the pattern pieces.
What you will need to make the Wasp Bag:
- 100 cm by 70 cm (40″ by 28″) of canvas weight fabric for the exterior of the bag,
- 100 cm by 70 cm (40″ by 28″) of lining fabric,
- 75 cm by 15 cm (30″ by 6″) of lining fabric to line the straps,
- 75 cm by 15 cm (30″ by 6″) of canvas weight fabric for the strap – either contrasting or same as the bag or leather,
- 100 cm by 100 cm (40″ by 40″) stiff iron-on interfacing (you want it to be stiff, but not Timtex-stiff. The stiffer it is, the more your bag will hold its shape),
- Two large buttons about 3 cm (1¼”) diameter,
- One magnetic snap,
- Heavyweight thread to match the canvas (top-stitching thread is ideal),
- Double-sided bond-a-web or hemming tape (optional),
- A key clip,
- A heavy needle for your sewing machine,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
Download the Wasp Bag pattern here
Liking this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.