All posts may contain affiliate links.
We absolutely love this designer at Sew Modern Bags. She makes top quality patterns and tutorials for bags that are inspired from the simple but slightly quirky shapes of the 1940s. Her bags always are so beautifully finished, so crisp and exact. If you follow the patterns, yours could be too!
The Breckland Bag is the most versatile and useful style in the designer’s collection to date. It’s a practical bag that is equally relevant today that is perfectly sized for all occasions.
The Breckland Bag features an unusual asymmetrical flap and front pocket and can be made with a contrasting strap and pocket. The front pocket template also doubles as an interior patch pocket. You can make this bag in a range of fabrics if you wish.
The bag’s finished dimensions are approximately 9.5” (24cm) high by 14” (36cm) wide at the widest point with a base width of 1.75” (4.5cm).
What you will need to make the Breckland Bag
- For the whole bag including the strap all in one fabric: 1/2 yard (50cm) of 60” (154cm) wide or 1 yard (100m) of 44” (112cm) wide exterior fabric
- To make with a contrast pocket and strap, you will need: 1/3 yard (32cm) of 60” (154cm) wide, or 2/3 yard (62cm) of 44” (112cm) wide exterior fabric AND 1/3 yard (32cm) of 60” (154cm) wide, or ½ yard of 44” (112cm) wide contrast fabric
- For all combinations, you will need:
- 2/3 yard (62cm) of 44” (112cm) wide lining fabric
- 2/3 yard (62cm) of 36” (92cm) wide firm sew-in interfacing (and optional of batting)
- 2/3 yard (65cm) of 36” (92cm) wide fusible interfacing
- 40” by 5” (105cm x 14cm) of fusible web
- One magnetic snap
- Three big buttons (approx. 1½”/4cm diameter)
- A piece of plastic canvas for the base approx. 1.75” (4.5cm) and 13” (33cm)
- For a purchased handle: Leather or vinyl strap 1” (2.5cm) wide and approx. 32” (80cm) long
- A piece of fusible web approx. 5” x 4” (13 x 10cm) for tabs
- Thread to match the fabric
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine.
Click here for the pattern
This one wasn't quite right for you? What about these instead?
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a sample selection you might like. Check them all out in our shop.