All posts may contain affiliate links.
If you want to make yourself a bag with a graceful design and a 1930s feel then this is the perfect sewing pattern for you, the Sidestrand Bag. The designer mentions its elegant asymmetrical styling and sophisticated bow. The Sidestrand Bag is the perfect size and shape for smart day wear or special occasions.
The Sidestrand Bag looks stunning in a huge range of fabrics from tweeds and corduroy for classic daywear to pretty printed fabrics or even silk to elevate it into something very special. This vintage-inspired pattern includes a template for an interior patch pocket, of which you can make one or two.
When finished the Sidestrand Bag measures approximately 8″ (21 cm) high by 14″ (36 cm) wide at the widest point, with a 2″ (5 cm) base width.
What you will need to make the Sidestrand Bag:-
- ½ yard (50 cm) of 60” (154 cm) wide, or 2/3 yard (62 cm) of 44” (112 cm) wide exterior fabric,
- ½ yard (50 cm) of 44” (112 cm) wide lining fabric,
- ½ yard (50 cm) of 36” (92 cm) wide firm sew-in interfacing,
- ½ yard (50 cm) of 36” (92 cm) wide fusible interfacing,
- 2” by 4” (5 cm by 10 cm) of fusible web,
- One magnetic snap,
- A piece of plastic canvas for the base,
- Thread to match the fabric,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
When you purchase the pattern you will be able to download ten pages including the cover, general, cutting out and step-by-step instructions, and six pattern sheets with the templates, which you must print and cut out.
If you would like to download this pattern then you can click on the light blue button below.
Click here for the pattern
More ideas for purses and handbags to sew
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.