All posts may contain affiliate links.
This messenger style bag has a really great old-style look using modern materials. And the best thing of all is the pattern and the tutorial are absolutely FREE.
The Scientist’s Satchel features the following:
- a super-useful front pocket
- an awesome turn-lock closure
- a finished size of 12″ wide by 8″ tall by 4″ deep
What you will need to make the Scientist’s Satchel:-
- 1 yard of 45″ wide or ⅔ yard of 60″ wide medium to heavyweight fabric (denim, canvas or faux suede) for the main bag,
- ¾ yard of lightweight fabric (quilting cotton) for the lining,
- One 1″ turn lock,
- One 12″ zipper,
- Matching sewing thread,
- Either various fabric paints for painting your image or Appliqué Supplies – 10″ by 10″ scrap of appliqué fabric for gears (cotton or felt) and 10″ by 10″ piece of light or heavy-duty fusible web,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- Sewing machine.
Click here for the FREE Pattern & Tutorial
Downloading this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.
Want MORE Free sewing patterns?
Want to find more FREE sewing patterns for bags and more? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite FREE sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.