All posts may contain affiliate links.
If you want to make yourself a small messenger bag style purse, then here is a beautifully designed classic sewing pattern from a well-known and highly respected designer, Charlie’s Aunt.
This is the Kersey Tye Messenger Bag. The designer describes this bag as a “versatile pieced design, which combines1940s-style inventiveness with modern-day simplicity and functionality”.
As a real bonus, you’ll be able to make your Kersey Tye Messenger Bag in two different sizes and with long and shorter strap options, all from the same pattern. On the taller version of the bag, there is an exterior pocket on the front panel. Instructions are also included for an interior pocket with a flap. When making the Kersey Tye Messenger Bag it is best made in two toning or contrasting fabrics.
When you have finished sewing the Kersey Tye Messenger bag your bag will measure approximately:–
- Tall version = 12½” (32 cm) high by 15″ (38 cm) wide
- Shorter version = 10½” (27 cm) high by 15″ (38 cm) wide.
What you will need to make the Kersey Tye Messenger Bag:-
- 2/3 yard (60 cm) of 54” (140 cm) wide, or 1 yard (92 cm) of 44” (112 cm) wide exterior fabric 1,
- ½ yard (50 cm) of 44” (112 cm) wide exterior fabric 2,
- 2/3 yard (60 cm) of 44” (92 cm) wide lining fabric,
- 2/3 yard (60 cm) of 36” (92 cm) wide sew-in craft interfacing,
- ½ yard (50 cm) of 36” (92 cm) wide fusible interfacing,
- 5” (13 cm) x 40” (102 cm) of fusible web for strap,
- One magnetic snap set,
- Four buttons approx. 1¼” (35mm) diameter to flap,
- Thread to match the fabric,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- Sewing machine.
When you purchase this digital sewing pattern there will be ten pages including the cover, general, cutting out and step-by-step instructions, and eight pattern sheets with the templates.
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the light blue button below.
Click here for the pattern
This one wasn't quite right for you? What about these instead?
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a sample selection you might like. Check them all out in our shop.