Retro Rucksack (Backpack) sewing pattern
Here’s a really great looking vintage style rucksack with a fresh, modern detail. This Retro rucksack is both stylish and versatile and is big enough to hold everything you need for the day.
This Retro Rucksack has the following features:
- A reinforced bottom and straps for added durability
- Practical side pockets that fit phones or snacks
- An interior zipper pocket and a patch pocket that may function as a space for tablets or other electronics
- You can choose to make the bag with a recessed zipper closure or a foldover top
- Its gender-neutral styling makes this a great choice for men’s and boy’s bags too.
When you finish making your Retro Rucksack it measure approximately 13″ by 13″ by 3″.
The designer says that in order to make one of her Retro Rucksack’s you should be an intermediate sewer, who is comfortable installing a zipper and working with thick layers of fabric.
The Retro Rucksack pattern includes ten pages of professionally illustrated instructions, clear step-by-step directions & supplemental photos, expert tips for a professional-looking finish, print-at-home pattern pieces, and a metric conversion chart. You will also get bonus tips on working with faux leather (as an option if you wish it) and improvising with bag hardware.
What you will need to make the Retro Rucksack:-
- 1 yard of fabric for the exterior
- 1 yard of fabric for the interior
- 2/3 yard of contrasting fabric
- Strap – 6 ft. (1 1/2 in. wide) 2 ft. (1 in. wide)
- One 7″ and one 16″ zipper
- Four 1 1/2″ D rings
- Two 1 1/2″ strap slides
- Two 1″ buckle closures
- 1/2 yard of heavy-weight interfacing (optional)
- Basic sewing supplies
- A sewing machine.
The designer has got lots of recommendations for fabrics as follows:
- Exterior: Heavy-weight fabrics such as canvas, home décor, felted wool, denim, etc.
- Interior: Medium to heavy-weight fabrics such as canvas, duck cloth, home décor, quilting cotton.
- Accent: Waxed canvas, faux leather, canvas, denim, KraftTex.
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the link below.