All posts may contain affiliate links.
If you want to make yourself an oriental style purse as a perfect fashion accessory then here is a fabulous example. This style of purse makes an ideal evening bag. Here’s the quick and easy to put together FREE pattern for the Oriental Style Fan Purse.
You can make this very interesting purse in the shape of a fan with just two small pieces of fabric. It really gets the oriental look by adding a number of ribbons and matching fan appliqué. Pick red and black, or a beautifully embroidered silk, or a fancy brocade to really enhance the oriental style.
The edges are finished with double-fold bias tape and then all you have to do is add a few beads and trim for embellishment.
What you will need to make the Oriental style fan purse
- ½ yard of 1½” wide red ribbon.
- Black double fold bias tape
- Scarlet and black medium rickrack
- 1½ yards of 3/16″ black cording
- 1 yard of black trim
- One 3″ red tassel
- Fan appliqué
- Three black frog closures (optional)
- 12″ of 1/8″ black cording for threading the beads
- One piece of 9″ by 12” black fabric for the front and back of the purse
- One piece of 9″ by 12″ black fabric for the lining
- Miscellaneous glass beads – the designer says to look for beads with large holes, for threading onto the cord (optional)
- Basic sewing supplies
- A sewing machine.
Click here for the pattern
Want MORE Free sewing patterns?
Want to find more FREE sewing patterns for bags and more? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite FREE sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.
More ideas for purses and handbags to sew
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.