All posts may contain affiliate links.
If it is a lovely Tote Bag that you are looking to sew this week then here is a beautiful one for you to make. With it’s pieced patchwork design, this bag is a fun scrap-buster to sew, but the patchwork is of course optional. It would look equally good with a feature fabric in that center panel bordered by a solid top and bottom.
The Mary Elizabeth Tote Bag has been designed as a super-quick and easy tote bag for everyday use, with one pocket and a fully-lined interior. This large tote bag is big enough to fit just about anything and everything you need to carry along with you throughout the day.
You can make it by using scraps from your stash or purchase fabric yardage. Whichever way you choose you will end up with something fun and unique. You can also quilt with a stitched design of your choice, or straight sew the outside, each of which will give you a different look. Quilting is optional.
When you have finished making the Mary Elizabeth Tote Bag it will measure approximately 18½” wide by 15″ high by 6½” deep.
What you will need to make the Marie Elizabeth Tote Bag
- Six 1/8 yard cuts of assorted fabric for the strips on the bag exterior (or feature fabric of your choice)
- 3/4 yard cut of fabric for the top and bottom of the bag exterior and straps
- 7/8 yard cut of fabric for the lining and pocket
- 1/8 yard cut of fabric for the accent strip on the pocket, or use scraps from above
- 1 1/8 yard of decor bond or medium weight fusible interfacing (the designer used Pellon #809)
- A piece 26″ by 44″ of low loft cotton or cotton mix batting (or a fusible fleece if you prefer)
- Basic sewing supplies
- A sewing machine.
Click here for the pattern
Find even more Tote Bag Sewing Patterns here
Do you want lots more tote bag sewing pattern ideas? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite tote bag sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.
More Tote Bags to sew
Everyone needs (a lot) more than one tote bag. They are a staple pattern in every sewing pattern collection and so versatile and adaptable. Check out a few recent tote bag patterns to sew from our store.