All posts may contain affiliate links.
This sleek and stylish fold-over clutch bag comes with lots of options. Not only are there three different sizes of the bag in this one pattern, but you can also decide to add a removable shoulder or crossbody strap and again two lengths are provided, or you can choose your own. Pockets inside and out and a darted base give lots of room inside.
The smallest clutch is ideal for a phone pouch, as a quick grab and go bag for your essentials or as a smaller bag used within the large-sized Sophia. The medium clutch will fit a tablet or e-reader, while the largest size is the perfect crossbody bag for everyday use when you need a little more space.
The bag has a darted design to give it more volume and space inside than you might expect. The fold-up top of the bag closes with a zipper and a magnetic snap closes the bag in the folded position. There are instructions for a welted zipper pocket on the outside, under the fold-over flap, as well as slip pockets for the inside.
The designer says that you can mix-and-match the materials, combining luxurious faux leather, cork, suede or vinyl with printed cottons, using the piecing instructions included.
When you have finished making the Sophia Fold Over Clutch And Crossbody Bags, the folded size of the bags will be approximately:
- Small = 8½” wide by 6″ tall by 1½” deep.
- Medium = 10″ wide by 7″ tall by 2″ deep.
- Large = 12″ wide by 8½″ tall by 2½″ deep.
Obviously if you use each of the bags unfolded then they will be taller but the width and depth will be the same.
What you will need to make the Sophia Fold Over Clutch And Crossbody Bag
- Fabric – the largest size requires 1-yard of fabric in total (mix and match prints, half yard for the outer, half yard for lining).
- 25″ by 20″ of fusible fleece.
- 25″ by 15″ of light to medium weight interfacing of your choice. You should allow additional interfacing for the strap if you are using a lightweight fabric.
- One 8, 9 or 11-inch zipper for the top of the bag, depending on which size you sew.
- One 7-inch zipper for the pocket.
- One magnetic snap.
- Two lobster clasps and o-rings or d-rings for the strap.
- Basic sewing supplies.
- A sewing machine.
This PDF file includes a sixteen-page full-size printable sewing pattern with a twenty-six page tutorial with clear step-by-step photos, plus tips to help you along the way.
Click here for the pattern
This isn't quite what you are looking for? We have links to thousands of bag sewing patterns, tutorials, sewing videos and tips and lots more on our Pinterest account. Come and follow us, and save some of your favorites to your own boards for later.