All posts may contain affiliate links.
Yes, you could use this Luxie Bag as a lunch bag, but we think it has so many more uses, and would make a great everyday purse because of the way the top opens up really wide for you to find what you need quickly. Made with a simple purse frame, you’ll be amazed how easy this actually is to make, yet how professional it looks.
Carry your lunch, make-up, overnight items, or the entire contents of your handbag in luxury. This is a versatile project that features a wire frame that helps hold the top open wide for easy access. Is it a handbag or a lunch bag? You decide! The frame is even removable for washing the bag if you need to.
Customize the zipped bag to suit your needs by choosing from 2 handle styles, and adding the optional outside zipper pocket.
Finished Size (Closed):
Width – 10 1/2” (27 cm) x Height – 6 1/2” (16 cm) x Depth – 7 1/2” (19 cm)
Fabric, Interfacing & Zippers:
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m – Exterior fabric (quilting cotton, light canvas/duck, home décor cotton)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m – Exterior Accent fabric (quilting cotton, light canvas/duck, home décor cotton)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m – Lining fabric (quilting cotton or waterproof fabric such as PUL or laminated cotton)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m – Thermal Batting/fleece such as Insul-Bright, Insul-fleece, Insul-Shine
- 3/4 yd./0.75 m – Interfacing – light-medium weight fusible interfacing such as Pellon Shapeflex SF101
- 10” x 21 1/2” – Foam Stabilizer – By Annie’s Soft & Stable, automotive headliner, Bosal in-R-Form, Pellon Flex-foam (25 cm x 54 cm)
- 1 1/4 yd./1.25 m – Piping Cord or Premade Piping – 5/32” (4 mm) or larger if preferred
- (1) 22” (56 cm) – Zipper for Exterior Top Opening (#4.5 or #5 nylon bag zipper, 1 1/4” wide, non-separating) – You can use a longer zipper.
- (1) 9” (23 cm) – Zipper for Exterior Zipper Pocket (#3 nylon all-purpose zipper, 1” wide, non-separating)
- 1 Set (Pair) – Internal Wire Frame, Rectangle-shaped Style B (10” x 3 1/2”)
Click here to get the pattern
These are our most popular purse and handbag sewing patterns
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.