All posts may contain affiliate links.
Yes, you could use this Luxie Bag as a lunch bag, but we think it has so many more uses, and would make a great everyday purse because of the way the top opens up really wide for you to find what you need quickly. Made with a simple purse frame, you’ll be amazed how easy this actually is to make, yet how professional it looks.
Carry your lunch, make-up, overnight items, or the entire contents of your handbag in luxury. This is a versatile project that features a wire frame that helps hold the top open wide for easy access. Is it a handbag or a lunch bag? You decide! The frame is even removable for washing the bag if you need to.
Customize the zipped bag to suit your needs by choosing from 2 handle styles, and adding the optional outside zipper pocket.
Finished Size (Closed):
Width – 10 1/2” (27 cm) x Height – 6 1/2” (16 cm) x Depth – 7 1/2” (19 cm)
Fabric, Interfacing & Zippers:
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m – Exterior fabric (quilting cotton, light canvas/duck, home décor cotton)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m – Exterior Accent fabric (quilting cotton, light canvas/duck, home décor cotton)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m – Lining fabric (quilting cotton or waterproof fabric such as PUL or laminated cotton)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m – Thermal Batting/fleece such as Insul-Bright, Insul-fleece, Insul-Shine
- 3/4 yd./0.75 m – Interfacing – light-medium weight fusible interfacing such as Pellon Shapeflex SF101
- 10” x 21 1/2” – Foam Stabilizer – By Annie’s Soft & Stable, automotive headliner, Bosal in-R-Form, Pellon Flex-foam (25 cm x 54 cm)
- 1 1/4 yd./1.25 m – Piping Cord or Premade Piping – 5/32” (4 mm) or larger if preferred
- (1) 22” (56 cm) – Zipper for Exterior Top Opening (#4.5 or #5 nylon bag zipper, 1 1/4” wide, non-separating) – You can use a longer zipper.
- (1) 9” (23 cm) – Zipper for Exterior Zipper Pocket (#3 nylon all-purpose zipper, 1” wide, non-separating)
- 1 Set (Pair) – Internal Wire Frame, Rectangle-shaped Style B (10” x 3 1/2”)
Click here to get the pattern
More ideas for purses and handbags to sew
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.