All posts may contain affiliate links.
Sometimes you don’t need something with a lot of bells and whistles to make a super everyday purse. We think the Gabby purse is perfect for a regular handbag you’ll pick up and use as your main bag. Smart in leather, faux leathers, and fabrics of all kinds – it’s a very versatile pattern that you could find yourself making over and over again in different materials to give you a whole wardrobe of bags that have that store-bought or designer look.
Check out the slideshow at the bottom for examples of this purse that we are sure will convince you that you NEED to make one – at least one!
The Gabby Bag features exterior & interior zipper pockets, as well as an interior double slip pocket. Its single shoulder strap is approximately 34” (86 cm) long, but you can lengthen or shorten it to suit your own style.
Finished Size – Width – 9” (23 cm) x Height – 7 1/2” (19 cm) x Depth – 2” (5 cm)
Check out all these finished examples for inspiration and ideas:-
- 1/2 yd. – Exterior fabric (quilting cotton, light canvas/duck, home décor cotton),
- 1/2 yd. – Exterior Accent fabric (quilting cotton, light canvas/duck, home décor cotton),
- 5/8 yd. – Lining fabric (quilting cotton or similar weight woven fabric),
- 1 5/8 yd. – Interfacing – Pellon Shapeflex SF101,
- 17” x 24” – Foam Stabilizer – By Annie’s Soft & Stable, automotive headliner, or Pellon Flex-foam.
- One 14″ zipper for Exterior Top Opening,
- Two 9″ zippers for Exterior & Lining Zipper Pockets,
- Two 1 1/4″ oval strap rings (Can substitute with Rectangular, D-rings, or O-rings).
Check out the GABBY purse pattern here
These are our most popular purse and handbag sewing patterns
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.