All posts may contain affiliate links.
This is the Dakota Backpack pattern, a fun and easy to sew backpack with a drawstring closure which can be made in two different sizes, for adults and kids. It’s a great beginner pattern and a useful bag that everyone and anyone can use.
The Dakota zippered drawstring backpack is ideal to carry every day to school, work, or the gym. It’s a great grab and go everyday bag. Lightweight, easy to sew, no fancy or expensive hardware needed. All the benefits of a simple drawstring backpack, but with the added feature of an external zipper pocket for easy access to keys, phone etc.
We love how the vertical zipper becomes an interesting part of the design itself. Why not pick a zipper in a bright and bold color for a strong contrast with your fabric? Instructions for the external zipper pocket allow you to choose two sizes.
The Dakota Backpack has the following features:
- A large exterior vertical zippered pocket
- An easy drawstring closure
- Three interior pockets to keep you well organized
- The fully lined bag is great for both kids and adults
- Your choice of a short or long central zipper pocket on the outside.
When you have finished making the Dakota Backpack it will measure approx 16″ high by 13.5″ wide.
What you will need to make the Dakota Backpack
- 2/3 of a yard for the main fabric
- 1 ¼ yard of lining fabric
- 1-yard of SF 101 Pellon fusible interfacing
- 7” or 10” zipper for the bags exterior pocket (both zipper sizes included in instructions)
- 7” nylon zipper for the interior lining pocket
- 4 yards of purchased cording for the adult size or 3 1/3 yards for the child size. Or you can make your own, instructions included.
- Basic sewing supplies
- A sewing machine.
Your easy to sew backpack comes as a PDF download including a full-size pattern to print, fourteen pages of clearly written instructions with full color images.
Click here for the pattern
More backpack and rucksack sewing patterns -->
Want to find more bags to wear as backpacks? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite backpack and rucksack sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.