All posts may contain affiliate links.
With this pattern, you get to chose whether you want to make a smaller Handbag sized bag, or a larger Tote sized bag or both. Two sizes are included in the same pattern.
You can download below the pdf patterns for the Classic Carryall Handbag & Tote Bag. This pattern has been designed to be simple and quick to construct, yet effective and classic in design.
- Simple piecing
- A vertical outer zipper pocket on the back
- A full zipper closure along the top
- And an inner zipper pocket as well
- Box corners
- Shiny hardware including optional bag feet
- Straightforward construction techniques, making this bag a quick and easy sew.
And if you are a sewer who is wary of zippers, then you don’t have to be, as throughout the pattern you are given detailed and comprehensive instructions and diagrams to make adding the zipper/s an easy and stress-free experience.
The finished sizes of the Classic Carryall Handbag & Tote are as follows: Handbag size is 8″ wide by 10 3/4″ high by 5″ deep. Tote Bag size is 10″ wide by 12 3/4″ high by 6″ deep.
The exact amount of quilting cotton and interfacing that you will need will depend on whether you choose to make the slightly smaller handbag size or the slightly larger tote bag size.
What you will need to make the Classic Carryall Handbag and Tote bag
- Up to 3/8yd of quilting cotton for the outer panels
- Up to 1/4yd of quilting cotton for the contrast panels
- Up to 1/2yd of quilting cotton for the lining
- Up to 3/8yd of quilting cotton for the inner and outer pockets
- Up to 1yd of quilting cotton for the Handles, Handle Connectors & Zipper Tab
- Up to 36″ x 17″ of Soft and Stable Foam Interfacing by Annie’s (or equivalent foam) OR Fusible Fleece
- Up to 1 3/4yd of Light-Medium Weight Fusible Interfacing (i.e. Pellon Shapeflex SF101)
- Optional – Up to 9 1/2″ x 6″ (depending on size chosen) of plastic or plastic canvas for the base of the bag
- Four D-Rings – Handbag: 1″ size, Tote Bag: 1 1/2″ size – check our resources page for our favorite hardware suppliers
- Four Swivel Hooks – Handbag: 1″ size, Tote Bag: 1 1/2″ size
- Optional: Bag Feet (1/2″ size) – Handbag: Four required, Tote Bag: Five required
- Optional: Firm Fusible Stabilizer (for bag feet) (i.e. Pellon’s Peltex #71F) – 3″ x 3″
- Coordinating Zippers – Handbag: One chunky/long pull zipper 16″ long and two dress zippers 6″ long; Tote Bag: One chunky/long pull zipper 18″ long, one dress zipper 6″ long and one dress zipper 8″ long
- Coordinating thread, scissors and basic sewing supplies including fabric glue/tape.
- Sewing machine.
Click here for the bag pattern