All posts may contain affiliate links.
If you are a confident beginner sewer and you have never worked with laminated cotton and other wipe clean fabrics then this is the pattern for you.
This pattern shows you how to sew with laminated cotton, which is a flexible, coated cotton, also known as slicker. It is easy to sew, wipe clean, washable and resilient, making it ideal for this small satchel or messenger bag. It will keep the contents dry in wet weather and is durable for everyday use. You can also use other fabrics such as a medium weight quilting cotton, canvas, waterproof Oxford, vinyl or oilcloth.
The Carina School Satchel messenger bag has the following features:
- Two inner pockets
- A wide back slip pocket
- A keyring loop
- An adjustable and detachable shoulder strap
- An optional short carry handle
- Two flap options with magnetic snap closure and piping for a professional finish
This is a versatile pattern, where there is plenty of scope for you to add your own style to the bag, such as extra pockets inside and out, a different flap closure and type of strap.
It is a generous sized bag and will fit A4 or Letter size books or folders making it perfect for school and college. There is a free bonus pdf file with measurements to make a taller version of this bag if you wish.
Once the pattern pieces have been cut out and prepared, the construction of this bag is straightforward, sewing mainly in straight lines.
When finished the Carina School Satchel measures 14” wide by 10” tall by 2” deep.
What you will need to make the Carina Satchel Bag
- Exterior fabric 1 – 0.6 yard/0.5m laminated cotton (or 0.5 yard/0.5m for 56” width laminated cotton)
- Exterior fabric 2 – 0.5 yard/0.5m contrasting cotton (for the straps and handle)
- Lining fabric – 1 yard/1m cotton
- Interfacing – 0.6 yard/0.5m sew-in fleece (e.g. Thermolam Compressed Fleece Vilene 272) or heavy weight canvas
- Interfacing – 1 yard/1m medium woven cotton fusible interfacing (e.g. Vilene G700; Pellon Shapeflex SF101)
- Interfacing – 1/4 yd/0.25m Peltex Pellon 71F Single Sided Fusible Stabilizer (optional, for short handle and bag base)
- One 1” (25mm) D-ring OR split ring for keys
- Two 1” (25mm) D-rings
- Two 1” (25mm) swivel snap hooks (optional, if you want to make the shoulder strap detachable)
- One 1” (25mm) slider
- One 18mm magnetic snap
- 36” of 0.5” width premade piping, or make your own bias tape and use a 3mm-4mm piping cord
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine.
Click here for the pattern