All posts may contain affiliate links.
The fabulous designer of this sewing pattern for The Bawdsey Bag named her bag after the East Suffolk village where radar research took place early in the Second World War.
It’s the perfect vintage style classic, as are all of her sewing patterns. But pick a different fabric, a solid or something bright and ‘now’ and this classic purse design suddenly screams modern too. Good style and design never goes out of fashion.
The Bawdsey Bag has the following features:-
- Front pleat detail and an asymmetrical flap with contrast trim.
- It’s a medium-sized bag.
- It has a long strap for practical but stylish day wear.
- It’s made with two toning or contrasting fabrics and is suitable for everything from wool tweeds and corduroy to decorator fabrics.
- The flap template doubles up as an interior pocket.
When you have finished making your own Bawdsey Bag it will measure approximately 9.5” (24 cm) high by 12.5” (32 cm) wide with a base width of 3.5” (9 cm) and a strap length of 41” (104 cm).
What you will need to make the Bawdsey Bag:-
- ½ yard (45 cm) of 60” (154 cm) or ¾ yard (65 cm) of 44” (112 cm) wide exterior fabric,
- ¼ yard (25 cm) of 60” (154 cm) or 44” (112 cm) wide contrast fabric,
- ¾ yard (65 cm) of 44” (112 cm) wide lining fabric,
- 2/3 yard (50 cm) of 44” (112 cm) wide firm sew-in interfacing,
- 2/3 yard (65 cm) of 36” (92 cm) wide fusible interfacing,
- Piece of plastic canvas approximately 10” by 5” (25 cm by 13 cm),
- One magnetic snap,
- Two buttons (approx. 1¼”/32mm) diameter,
- Thread to match the fabric,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
When you add this pattern to your collection you will be able to download ten pages including the cover, general, cutting out and step-by-step instructions, and ten pattern sheets with the templates, which you must print and cut out. If you would like to download this pattern then you can click on the blue button below.
Click here for the pattern
These are our most popular purse and handbag sewing patterns
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.