All posts may contain affiliate links.
You NEED a great backpack. It is actually vital! It has to have plenty of pocket options and it doesn’t need to be too big – you are not walking the Appalachian Trail (well I am guessing here but I feel pretty safe in the assumption). More likely you are grabbing something as you race out the door and you need to trust that it will get you through the day. Or you are doing a walk around your city and you want to tote your lunch plus a few essentials. This is the backpack that you need. It is not too large but it has everything and it is easy to use. Let’s totally DO this!
This project is perfect for the confident beginner sewer where some knowledge is assumed.
When you have finished making your very own Barcelona Backpack it will measure 11″ wide by 15″ tall by 3 ½” deep.
For making this project the designer suggests using any of the following fabrics: quilting weight cotton, denim, canvas, furnishing fabrics, linen, needlecord, waxed cotton, oilcloth.
This pattern is super detailed. You will receive seventeen pages with eighteen color photos to illustrate the steps. In addition, there are links to several free blog tutes to show you in more detail how to really nail the more intense bits. It is a pattern that will help you to sew better. This is a measure and cut pattern which means that you don’t have any templates (pattern pieces) to print off and match up- Yay!
You need a rotary cutter, ruler, and cutting mat, and you can cut the pattern pieces straight from the fabric. This is easier than it sounds because the pieces are all simple squares and rectangles. You can transfer the cutting measurements to paper to create your own paper template/pattern piece if you prefer to use them.
What you will need to make a Barcelona Backpack:-
- Fabric: ½ yard of canvas and 1¼ yard of lining fabric to coordinate,
- A scrap of leather or vegan leather 1½” wide by 10″ long to trim the handle,
- Something to decorate the zipper pulls (optional),
- TIP: the extra amount of lining includes the allowance for the bias tape. You can also buy this and save fabric in which case you only need ¾ of a yard of lining,
- 1 yard of Style-Vil foam interfacing (Vlieseline),
- One fat eighth of S320 fusible interfacing (Vlieseline),
- One 7″ and one 12″ zipper for the main top gusset zipper,
- Two 6″ zips for the front double zipper pocket,
- One 5″ zip for the front outer zipper box pocket,
- One 7″ zip for the internal zipper box pocket,
- 82″ cotton webbing 1″ wide for the main straps,
- 12″ cotton webbing 1½” wide for the handle,
- 12″ cotton webbing 1″ wide for the tabs on the rectangle rings and the gusset zipper ends,
- Two 1″ bronze D rings,
- Two 1″ bronze bag sliders.
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the blue button below.
Click here for the pattern
And if you would like to see other bag sewing patterns from this designer then you can click on the red button below.
See more patterns from this designer here
More backpack and rucksack sewing patterns -->
Want to find more bags to wear as backpacks? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite backpack and rucksack sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.