Yasmina Backpack sewing pattern (2 sizes plus video)
The Large Yasmina backpack is a medium-sized backpack that is a great size if you have some stuff to carry around but want to do it with style and you don’t want to be carrying a school-sized heavy backpack.
The Small is a super cute slim-style backpack purse. If you only carry around your essentials but still love the freedom a backpack gives you. It can also be a great child backpack.
- Two sizes – medium-sized backpack and a smaller, slim backpack purse.
- The front panel is great for showcasing your fabric.
- Zipper pocket on the back for security, a double slip pocket, and a zipper pocket inside.
- Both measurements (imperial and metric) with cutting instructions as well as pattern pieces available (whole pieces – no fold).
- Detailed instructions with over 400 photos.
- Two-sided straps and handle, no raw edges technique for the ends of your straps.
- Two ways of doing interior zipper pocket – regular (zipper facing – no raw edges) and with vinyl/cork/leather overlay.
- Various fabric/interfacing/stabilizer options discussed.
This is a pattern that would not generally be a beginner pattern but strives to be, as it has very detailed explanations and over 400 photos to guide you through every step. It is great for an adventurous beginner interested in learning new things as it has various techniques explained and tips and tricks throughout the instructions. And an intermediate sewist can breeze through it easily because of all the photos.
– Large: 13″ (33 cm) wide by 9 5/8″ at the base (24.5 cm at the base) by 13 3/4″ (36 cm) high by 3 1 ⁄2″ (9 cm) deep.
– Small: 11″ (28 cm) wide by 8 3/4″ at the base (22 cm at the base) by 11″ (28 cm) high by 2 3/8″ (6 cm) deep.
Full video tutorial available here:
- FOR LARGE SIZE: 1 yd (m) Exterior fabric, 55” (140 cm) wide. And 3/4 yd (m) Lining fabric 55” (140 cm) wide. *optional: 1 ¼” (3.2 cm) wide webbing (if doing webbing straps and connectors – 1” wide can also be used alternatively)
- FOR SMALL SIZE: 1/2 yd (m) Exterior fabric, 55” (140 cm) wide. And 1/2 yd (m) Lining fabric, 55” (140 cm) wide. *optional – 1” (2.5 cm) wide webbing (if doing webbing straps and handle)
- Woven interfacing for all cotton/lightweight fabric pieces
- Vilene H250 or Pellon 809 Décor-Bond (for cotton straps and connectors) – woven interfacing can be used alternatively
- A small piece of light nonwoven interfacing for the zipper facing – if doing the facing method (two methods for zipper pocket are explained)
- Decovil Light/Heavy – reinforcements/stabilizers – (pages 6-8)
- Decovil Light/Fusible fleece/H630/H640/Thermolam/Foam for structure – depending on materials choice (check pages 6-8)
- 8/9 mm diameter rivets of various post lengths – depending on the fabric choice
- 5# nylon zipper tape (zipper by the meter/yard) + 3 corresponding zipper pulls: (37 5/8” (95.5 cm) for LARGE, 33 3/4″ (85.5 cm) for SMALL SIZE)
- 2 x slide adjusters, 2 x rectangle rings : 1 1/4 ” (3.2 cm) for LARGE size, 1” (2.5 cm) for SMALL SIZE
- *(1” (2.5 cm) can be used alternatively for large size as well)
- Removable marking tools (silver pen/air erasable pen/chalk etc)
- Wonder clips
- Quilting ruler
- Cutting tools (sharp scissors, rotary cutter, crafting knife, other preferred tools)
- Fabri-tac glue (or equivalent)
- Double-sided tape of various widths
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the blue button below.
And if you would like to see other bag sewing patterns from this designer then you can click on the red button below.
See all the patterns from this designer here
More backpack and rucksack sewing patterns --> Want to find more bags to wear as backpacks? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite backpack and rucksack sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.