All posts may contain affiliate links.
The Mercury Messenger Bag sewing pattern is a trendy and unique take on the traditional messenger bag. It is available in two sizes, the large size that is perfect for laptops and binders, and the small size that fits tablets and paperback books. The smaller size is a really cute everyday purse to carry too.
Carry it by hand with the handle on the top of the bag, like a smart briefcase-style bag, or sling it over your shoulder with an adjustable strap for when the bag is full and heavy.
There are several pockets inside and out, including a zippered interior divider pocket or a padded divider pocket for laptops (fits laptops up to 14″/35.5cm wide).
You’ll find all sorts of uses for both sizes of the Mercury Messenger Bag. This pattern is for intermediate bag sewers and has a drop-in lining.
We love the unique front closure with the feature rings and snap hooks. This is a really interesting look and completely secure, but of course, you can swap this up with small buckles, or snaps etc with a few tweaks to the design if you like.
The approximate measurements of the finished Mercury Messenger Bag will be:
- Small = 9½” (24.1 cm) long by 11″ (27.9 cm) tall by 3½” wide (8.9 cm), Strap = 24½” to 45″ (62.2″to 114.3 cm), Purse drop = 10½” to 21″ (26.7 cm to 53.3 cm),
- Large = 15½” (39.4 cm) long by 12½” (31.8 cm) tall by 3½” wide (8.9 cm), Strap = 24½” to 45″ (62.2 to 114.3 cm), Purse drop = 9″ to 20″ (22.9 to 50.8 cm).
What you will need to make the Mercury Messenger Bag:
- Sizings depend on whether you sew the Small or Large bag,
- 1/3 to 1/2 yard of exterior fabric (44″/54″ wide),
- 1 1/2 to 2 yards of interior fabric (44″ wide),
- 1/4 to 1/2 yard of accent fabric (54″ wide),
- 1 to 1 1/4 yard of foam interfacing (20″ wide). 1 1/4 to 1 2/3 yards with padded internal pocket,
- A piece of Peltex interfacing (20″ wide) either 6″ by 9″ or 8″ by 16″,
- Three or four swivel hooks 1″ to 1½”,
- One slider for the adjustable strap 1″ to 1½” (same size as swivel hooks),
- Three to four 1½” O-rings (measurement is of the inside diameter),
- One 8″ or 14″ zipper, a standard #3 size,
- 5″ to 10″ of elastic (¼” wide) for the elasticated interior pocket,
- Optional purse feet for the bottom of the bag,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
For the exterior fabric, the designer says that you don’t need much of it, and everything from quilting cotton to canvas and beyond will work well. The accent fabric should be sturdier, such as cotton canvas, waterproof canvas, denim, bottom-weight fabrics, cork or vinyl. Thick fabrics like vinyl don’t need to be interfaced. The lining fabric should be quilting cotton or other lighter weight fabrics.
If you would like to add this pattern to your collection then you should click on the button below. Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern.
This pattern includes 28 pages of instructions, with detailed illustrations. There are also links to several video tutorials to help with the tricky steps. There are 13 pages of the Small printable pattern and 23 for the Large, but all the piece dimensions are also included in a cut chart if you don’t want to print the pattern. Pattern instructions are given in both inches and centimetres. This can be printed on letter or A4 sized paper.
Click here to get the pattern
See all the patterns by the designer here
This isn't quite what you are looking for? We have links to thousands of bag sewing patterns, tutorials, sewing videos and tips and lots more on our Pinterest account. Come and follow us, and save some of your favorites to your own boards for later.
These are our most popular purse and handbag sewing patterns
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.