All posts may contain affiliate links.
This is a pdf sewing pattern for a new, slightly smaller, Travel Duffle Bag from the designer Studio Cherie. The original travel duffle was very popular, but we feel this slightly smaller size is now perfect.
The designer describes this bag as perfect as a carry-on. She has included a built-in sleeve for carrying the duffle on the handle of your rolling bag. So now its easy to manage two bags as you wheel through the airport, the Travel Duffle slides over the extendable handle of your roller case and comes along for the ride, allowing you to have two bags easily.
The new dimensions are 18 inches wide by 11 inches tall and 9 inches deep.
For those of you who have the original pattern, she does some comparison here:
- The original duffle is 20 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches.
- This bag is washable in your washing machine.
- The straps are 2″ wide polypro or nylon, still, lots of opportunities to make your bag look amazing with contrasting fabrics, maybe even more so now with all of the colors you can choose from for straps. There is a link in the pattern to take you to the place where the designer gets her straps.
- There is a magazine pocket on one end.
- The zippered, pleated pocket on the other end is explained a little better this time with this pattern the designer believes.
- She came up with a faster and easier way to add the straps!
- She used 6-ounce batting in this one instead of the 8-ounce.
- Overall, you are going to find that this duffle is faster and easier to make than the original and still very useful and impressive as a gift.
What is needed to make the new Travel Duffle Bag:
- *6-ounce polyester quilt batting 1.5 yards,
- *Muslin (or other desired lining fabric) 44” wide, 1.5 yards,
- *Feature Fabric 44” wide or 54” wide, 1.5 yards,
- *Contrasting fabric for handles 44” or 54” wide, one yard,
- *#5 Nylon Coil Zippers one at least 20” long and one at least 11” long,
- *2″ wide Nylon or Polypro Webbing – 10 feet,
- *Optional Wide Seam Binding 6 yards,
- 1/3 yard of duck canvas,
- 1/3 yard of décor bond (heavy fusible interfacing),
- *Cutting mat, Quilter’s Ruler, Rotary Cutter,
- *Basic sewing supplies,
- *A sewing machine.
The pattern is illustrated with lots of color photos and diagrams. The designer uses 14 point type in the pattern, so the writing is nice and big. She can even read it without her reading glasses.
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the blue button below.
Click here to get the pattern
Keep organized with these storage and project bag ideas to sew
Want even more project bags, storage and organizers to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here is a sample selection you might like. Check them all out in our shop.