All posts may contain affiliate links.
This is the Sugar & Spice Purse pattern. This bag is not only roomy and functional but has loads of storage space too! There are four exterior slip pockets and a main compartment closing with a recessed zipper which is super easy to make. Two pen pockets and an additional four slip pockets inside complete the ensemble. Lots of wonderful piping, metal rings, and shiny rivets give your bag that professional look. Your friends won’t believe you made it yourself!
We love that ‘smile’ you get on the side of the bag from those two slip pockets.
Skill level: This purse is recommended for an intermediate sewer.
When you have finished making the Sugar & Spice Purse it will measure approximately 14″ (36 cm) by 8″ (20 cm) by 3″ (7.5 cm).
What you will need to make a Sugar & Spice Purse:-
- Note yardage is meant as a guide and may not be exact.
- Exterior fabric: quilting weight – 90 cm (1 yard) of 112cm (40”) wide fabric,
- Lining fabric: quilting weight – 90cm (1 yard) of 112cm (40”) wide fabric,
- Fabric to make your own piping: 45cm (½ yard); optional – you can use 3.5m (138”) ready-made piping if you prefer,
- Fusible interfacing: light to mid-weight – 75cm (30”),
- Fusible fleece: mid-weight; I used Vilene H 640 – 40cm (16”),
- Matching thread (I use Gutermann Polyester),
- Piece of Peltex: 33cm X 9cm (13”X 3½”),
- One 36cm (14”) zipper for the recessed zipper closure (or cut a longer one down to size),
- Four oval or rectangular rings: 3cm (1 ¼”) across (inside measurement),
- One zipper pull (optional),
- Sixteen 6mm (¼”) rivets (optional) for the straps.
The pattern comes ready to print out on standard A4 paper OR you can also print on Letter or Foolscap simply by checking the “Disable shrink to fit” or similar in your printer’s settings. Printing Instructions are included!
The pattern for Sugar & Spice has a full requirements list with suggestions on where to obtain your hardware, twenty-seven pages of comprehensive instructions which include fifty-one step-by-step color photos. There are two photos of the finished bag, printing instructions, and test squares to print to check your scale. Eight pattern pieces are included. PLUS a TEXT ONLY version of the instructions (six pages) comes bundled with your pattern for printing purposes, should you not need or wish to print all of the photos! Simply refer to your electronic versions for photos if needed! Saves on ink!
Everyone of the designers patterns has measurements for both Metric and Imperial and seam allowances are included too!
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the blue button below.
Click here for the pattern
This one wasn't quite right for you? What about these instead?
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a sample selection you might like. Check them all out in our shop.