New Tote On The Block pattern
Here is the sewing pattern for The New Tote on the Block tote bag that comes in two sizes, small and large, with several design variations.
The pattern is simple to put together and comes with several color blocking variations – hence it’s name. You can basically break up the main body of this bag in different ways to color block it left and right, top and bottom, or not at all. Maybe even make your own color block designs or mix and match with prints and solids.
The designer describes her project as best for confident beginner sewers and up.
There are also instructions for seven different types of pockets so that you can get just the right pocket configuration inside and out.
When you have finished making yourself either or both of these awesome Tote Bags they will each measure approximately:
- The smaller tote will be 13” (33 cm) wide by 3.5” (9 cm) deep by 11.5” (29 cm) tall at the shortest point and 15” (38 cm) tall at the tallest point. The purse drop will be 11” (28 cm).
- The larger tote will be 20” (51 cm) wide at the top and 14” (35 cm) wide at the bottom by 6” (15 cm) deep by 12” (30.5 cm) tall at the shortest point and 15.5” (39.5 cm) tall at the tallest point. The purse drop will be 11” (28 cm).
New Tote On The Block material requirements:
- 1/2 to 2/3 of a yard of 54″ wide fabric for the exterior,
- 1/2 to 2/3 of a yard of fabric for the interior,
- 1/2 to 2/3 of a yard of fusible fleece interfacing,
- 1 1/2 to 2 yards of lightweight woven fusible interfacing,
- A piece of foam interfacing (optional), either 17″ by 32″ or 19″ by 42″,
- A magnetic clasp or 14″ / 20″ zipper,
- One or two optional 6-8″ zippers,
- Optional embellishments,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
The designer has various fabric recommendations like bottom weights or home decor weight fabrics (cotton canvas, twill, denim, duck, linen, etc) or other sturdy fabrics such as suede or vinyl or leather.
If you would like to add this pattern to your collection then you can click on the button below.
The pattern includes 27 pages of instructions, with detailed diagrams and a photo tutorial. There are separate files for the smaller tote and large tote. The smaller tote comes with 28 pages of pattern pieces, and the large tote comes with 40 pages of pattern pieces. The pattern instructions are given in both inches and centimetres. This can be printed on Letter or A4 paper.
Because of all the pattern choices, there are many pages in the pattern piece documents. It is NOT necessary to print all of the pages. The pattern gives instructions on exactly which pages you need so that you can save paper.
See all the patterns by the designer here