Grocery Tote Bag sewing pattern (3 sizes)
This is the Grocery Tote Bag pdf sewing pattern from the designer Michelle Patterns.
The designer will show you how to make your own pretty and practical fabric grocery bags in 3 sizes using her pdf sewing pattern.
This project is a wonderful way to use up some of your stash!
These finished bags are great for carrying (or storing) all sorts of things besides what the name implies. Besides groceries you can make bags to carry packages, toys for kids or pets, your current knit or crochet craft project, etc.
The designer has made these bags using the same basic design as the plastic bags stores give out, and in addition they are:
- Easy to load – fits on bag holders used by many stores.
- Simple to clean – machine wash & dry.
- Reversible – fully lined & no exposed seams.
- Durable – double stitched seams.
This pattern is written specifically for quilting cotton fabric. This gives you lots of great options for making some fabulous bags! Sewn as the instructions are written, the bags are one fabric print on each side. But you can mix it up and make them from 3 or more prints.
The handles are sewn separately to keep pressing to a minimum and make the project quick and easy to complete.
This is a simple sewing project to complete as the designer says you should have a skill level where you have successfully finished a few sewing projects on your own. This is a 1-2 hour project for those with sewing experience.
When you have finished making one of these Grocery Tote Bags for yourself they will measure approximately:-
- Small = 10″ (25 cm) by 8.5″ (22 cm) by 3.25″ (8.3 cm).
- Medium = 12″ (30 cm) by 10″ (25 cm) by 4″ (10 cm).
- Large = 14” (36 cm) by 11” (28 cm) by 5” (13 cm).
What’s needed to make this Grocery Tote Bag (Size specific amounts are included on page 1 of the instructions):-
- 1/2 to 1 yard of fabric 1 for side 1,
- 1/2 to 1 yard of fabric 2 for side 2,
- 1/2 a yard of muslin or fusible interfacing (Pellon SF101).
- A ruler or yardstick,
- A fabric marker or chalk,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
The designer describes her pdf pattern as a paper and ink friendly 7-page document. There are 5-pages of text and color photo instructions plus 2-pages of black and white pattern pieces. The handle pattern pieces are included and the designer gives you the dimensions for you to mark out the rectangular bag body pieces.
If you would like to download the pattern you can click on the blue button below.