All posts may contain affiliate links.
This is a fun and simple clutch that even confident beginners can make without many difficulties.
The zipper is added to avoid things from slipping, thus making this a very practical bag. And please don’t worry if you are not familiar with zippers as with the correct measurements and techniques, the zipper part can be completed in a short time. There is also a bonus with this pattern as there are 6 different flap designs to suit your style or fancy.
The clutches can look very pretty in different fabric combinations, but even with a single fabric all over, the finished bag is still beautiful.
If you wish to add more pockets inside or on the back, a tutorial on making a zippered pocket is given in the appendix.
The suitable fabric is cotton or light-weight linen. Medium-thick interfacing can provide a good structure for the bag. If you want you can omit the strap and use the bag as a clutch.
When finished the Zippered Clutch Bag will measure approximately 5 ½ inches (14 cm) high by 8 ½ inches (22 cm) long with a base of 1 ½ inches (4 cm).
What you will need to make this Zippered Clutch Bag:-
- ½ yard of quilting weight cotton, linen or cotton blended linen,
- ½ yard of linen or cotton for the lining,
- Fusible Interfacing,
- ¼ yard of medium or heavy-weight fusible interfacing. If the exterior fabric is quite thick, use medium-weight interfacing,
- ¼ yard of light-weight fusible interfacing (optional: for lining ),
- One magnetic button or any other type of snap button/closure of your choice,
- One zipper – 8 inches,
- One ½ inch D-ring ( optional ),
- One ¾ inch swivel hook ( optional ),
- Basic sewing supplies,
- Sewing machine.
This is a digital download where you will receive twenty-four pages of complete step-by-step tutorials with extra info and thirteen pages of pattern tiles that need to be assembled. Seam allowances are included in the pattern.
Get the Clutchmates pattern here
See all the patterns for this designer here