The Calla Convertible backpack pdf pattern
June 24, 2018 | All bag patterns, Backpacks, Purses | No Comments|
All posts may contain affiliate links.
Here’s a pdf pattern for a backpack, that is also a shoulder bag. The Calla Convertible backpack easily converts from a shoulder bag to a backpack with a slight change in strap configuration.
Calla has the following features:
- One large zippered pocket on the front
- Two interior slip pockets (a link to a tutorial to add an interior zippered pocket as well is included)
- The main zipper closure opens very wide to allow easy access
- An accordion style gusset at the bottom of the zipper keeps all of the contents of your bag where they belong – inside the bag.
- A nice slim design – not bulky like most backpacks and it is perfect for an iPad, and books with letter-sized paper.
- Finished dimensions of approximately 13 inches wide by 14 inches high by 2.5 inches deep
- A project that is suitable for an intermediate sewist. It can be made in 3 or 4 hours depending on your sewing experience.
A short video to show you how the Calla backpack converts from a shoulder bag to a backpack and how to select the appropriate hardware for the pattern is shown below:
What you will need to make the Calla Convertible Backpack
- Accent fabric – 1/2 yard of quilting cotton for the exterior
- Main fabric – 1/2 yard of quilting cotton for the exterior
- 1-yard of quilting cotton for the lining
- 2.5 yards of lightweight fusible interfacing – SF101
- 1 yard of fusible fleece interfacing
- 14″ by 3.5″ piece of Peltex or similar heavyweight interfacing
- One 7″ zipper
- One 22″ zipper (or longer)
- Two 1″ triangle rings – see our resources page for the best hardware suppliers
- Four 1″ D-rings
- Two 1″ swivel clasps
- Two 1″ rectangle slides
- Double-sided tape (DST)
- Basic sewing supplies and a sewing machine.
Click here for the pdf pattern