All posts may contain affiliate links.
Here’s a pdf pattern for a backpack, that is also a shoulder bag. The Calla Convertible backpack easily converts from a shoulder bag to a backpack with a slight change in strap configuration.
Calla has the following features:
- One large zippered pocket on the front
- Two interior slip pockets (a link to a tutorial to add an interior zippered pocket as well is included)
- The main zipper closure opens very wide to allow easy access
- An accordion style gusset at the bottom of the zipper keeps all of the contents of your bag where they belong – inside the bag.
- A nice slim design – not bulky like most backpacks and it is perfect for an iPad, and books with letter-sized paper.
- Finished dimensions of approximately 13 inches wide by 14 inches high by 2.5 inches deep
- A project that is suitable for an intermediate sewist. It can be made in 3 or 4 hours depending on your sewing experience.
A short video to show you how the Calla backpack converts from a shoulder bag to a backpack and how to select the appropriate hardware for the pattern is shown below:
What you will need to make the Calla Convertible Backpack
Click here for the pdf pattern
These are our most popular purse and handbag sewing patterns
Want even more purses and handbags to sew? Our shop is packed full of hand-picked favorites from talented designers, big and small. Here are a few recent additions you might like. Check them all out in our shop.