All posts may contain affiliate links.
We all love a sew-along. Ideal for beginners or those looking to try out new skills or a new style of bag, a sew-along is typically a much expanded set of instructions, over several days or weeks, with in-depth step by step photos and tutorials to hold your hand every step of the way. This pretty drawstring purse has an introduction and then 4 sew-along parts with all the info you need to be successful.
Materials needed for this bag:
- 1/2 yard of focus fabric for the outside panel and the inside pockets
- 1 yard of contrast fabric for the lining, straps, drawstring, and the contrast pieces on the top and bottom of the outside of the bag.
- 2/3 yard of 45 inch wide fusible fleece
- 1 yard of 20 inch wide woven fusible interfacing
- 1 x nine inch zipper to match the lining (or to contrast with it, because that’s nifty looking)
- four rings that will hold a 1 1/4 inch strap
- one magnetic snap
- 8 x 3/8″ inch grommets and tools to insert them
- a gridded bag bottom – plastic canvas works great
- basic sewing stuff: coordinating thread, scissors, pins, hand sewing needle, something to mark with, seam ripper, ruler
In this sew-along you’ll learn:
- how to insert a magnetic snap securely
- how to insert grommets
- how to use rings for your purse straps
- how to insert a bag bottom to give your bag some support, and
- how to insert an internal zipper pocket
For the sew-along instructions:
Go to the sew-along introduction here
Downloading this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.
Want MORE Free sewing patterns?
Want to find more FREE sewing patterns for bags and more? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite FREE sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.