All posts may contain affiliate links.
This simple Tote Bag is an absolute beauty, is still simple to sew and yet has multiple handy pockets. As a bonus, the designer has made the pattern FREE.
This Tote Bag is just the right size for a purse, plus you can carry items that you want to keep organized and grab quickly in the six exterior pockets. Other features include a button and loop closure, and D-rings with swivel snap clips to attach the strap. If you want, you could skip the clips and sew your straps directly to the D-rings. The boxy bottom of the bag and the interfacing that the designer used in most of the pieces give it great structure.
The finished tote is approximately 12” tall by 12′ wide and 3” across the bottom. The lower pockets are 5” deep, the top pocket is 8 1/2” deep, and there are optional pockets on the inside too.
To make this Tote Bag, you will need the following items:-
- 1/2 yard fabric for the main exterior – pick a pretty quilting cotton,
- 1/2 yard fabric for the lining,
- 1/2 yard fabric for the top pocket,
- 1/2 yard fabric for the bottom pocket, the D-ring tabs, and the button loop,
- 1/2 yard fabric for the slip pocket and the strap,
- 1 1/4 yards of fusible fleece interfacing,
- 2 yards of medium weight woven interfacing (such as Pellon ShapeFlex SF101),
- Two D-rings, 1” wide – see our resources page for recommended hardware suppliers,
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
Get the FREE pattern here
Downloading this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.
Want MORE Free sewing patterns?
Want to find more FREE sewing patterns for bags and more? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite FREE sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.