All posts may contain affiliate links.
Here’s your chance to sew a fabric Garment Bag with this wonderful FREE sewing pattern from Sew Can She.
You’ll be able to travel for business or pleasure and keep your lovely clothes looking great in this handmade beautiful garment bag! The designer has made her project easy to sew with lots of clever features that will make this your favorite piece of made-by-me luggage ever.
The front of the Garment Bag is approximately 24’’ by 40’’ not including the handles and strap. It has a long zipper that opens all the way up to the top, which makes putting clothes in and taking them out super easy. On the back, there is a large 24’’ by 14’’ pocket that’s perfect for items that won’t stay on a hanger.
The designer added a decorative ribbon to her bag and besides the handles at the top and bottom that allow you to carry this bag like a suitcase, there is also a detachable shoulder strap.
And Sew Can She’s favorite feature of her Garment Bag, something that was suggested by one of her readers, is a tie at the top to secure the tops of your hangers so they don’t slip down into the bag when you carry it by the handles.
When you have made your own Garment Bag it will measure approximately 40’’ tall by 24’’ wide, not including the handles and strap.
What you will need to make a Garment Bag:-
- The bag pieces are cut widthwise. More fabric will be needed if you have a directional print that runs lengthwise.
- 2 1/4 yards cotton fabric for the exterior of the garment bag plus pocket, handles, and strap,
- 2 yards cotton fabric for the interior of the garment bag plus the pocket lining,
- 2 yards of foam stabilizer at least 60’’ wide such as ByAnnie Soft and Stable (may substitute quilt batting or fusible fleece, but the finished look will be softer),
- 2 yards of Zipper By the Yard (or 2 YKK #4.5 handbag zippers – one 43’’ long and one 26’’ long),
- 1 yard of medium weight fusible interfacing such as Pellon SF101
- quilt basting spray such as SpraynBond or 505
- Teo d-rings with a 1’’ opening
- Two swivel snap clips with a 1’’ opening
- One tri-glide slide with a 1’’ opening
- 1/2 yard fabric to make 4 yards of 2 1/4’’ wide bias binding (you can use the designers Easy Bias Binding from a FQ method, but you’ll need to do it twice to make enough).
- 48’’ of ribbon 7/8’’ wide for embellishment (optional),
- Basic sewing supplies,
- A sewing machine.
You can download the free pattern by clicking on the purple button below.
Click here to get the pattern
Downloading this free pattern? Great! You would make our day if you ‘bought us a coffee’ to help with the site running costs. Thank you.
Want MORE Free sewing patterns?
Want to find more FREE sewing patterns for bags and more? Why not follow the Sew Modern Bags board dedicated to our favorite FREE sewing patterns here. Pin and save your favorite bag sewing patterns to your own boards for later. Don't forget to pin this article too.
We think you'll like these patterns for storage and organizers to sew
We know our readers just love to sew storage and organizer projects so we've got lots of them. We've handpicked some of our favorites to feature in our pattern store. These are some of the most popular that are readers are sewing now!