All posts may contain affiliate links.
Sew Modern Bags brings you another awesome FREE pdf pattern that is specifically aimed at beginner sewers.
The Fabric Basket Tote bag is beautiful, easy, and fun to sew!
The Fabric Basket Tote’s main features are as follows:
- There are two interior pockets.
- It has a zipper which is different from most Tote Bags, or you can use a magnetic snap.
- The handles aren’t super long like shoulder straps but it can fit on your shoulder.
- The bag has a bound top edge that matches the handles (if you want) and it is a nice roomy size.
- The center panel is quilted and there is piping that separates the middle from the sides.
The finished dimensions of the Tote Bag are approximately 16” wide at the top and 11” tall (not including the handles).
What you need to make the Fabric Basket Tote Bag
- 1/3 yard main quilting cotton for the exterior fabric
- 1/3 yard coordinating quilting cotton for the exterior fabric
- 1/2 yard fabric and 2 yards 3/16” cording to make piping (or 2 yards pre-made piping)
- 1/2 yard fabric for the handles and binding
- 1/2 yard main quilting cotton for the lining fabric
- 1/3 yard coordinating quilting cotton for the lining fabric
- One magnetic snap closure or handbag zipper 20” or longer
- 1/2 to 1-yard of flexible foam stabilizer or fusible fleece (1/2 yard if 60” wide, 1 yard if only 20” wide)
- Fabric marking pen
- Sewing pins and clips
- Basic sewing supplies and sewing machine.
Click here for the FREE pdf pattern