It’s always great to have a Cross Body Tote Bag that you can easily sling over your back and carry hands free, but when you can easily convert it into a should bag as well, then it’s even better. This fabulous designer has designed the Convertible Cross Body Tote Bag and she has given us all the tutorial for FREE.
She originally designed a cross body tote only, but as she personally likes to carry her bags over one shoulder, she decided to make a strap that was convertible. The double- strap makes this bag look really cool but if you want to make a traditional bag then the designer will show you how to make that bag as well. Her project shows you how to sew the bag both ways.
This Convertible Cross Body Tote Bag has the following features:
- An exterior zipper pocket
- Interior slip pockets
- A little interior d-ring for clipping your keys or anything else on to
- A magnetic snap.
You could also very easily put the zipper pocket on the inside or the slip pockets on the outside. The designer shows how easy it is to personalize her wonderful tote until you sew the bag that’s just perfect for you and what you need to carry.
What you will need to make the Convertible Cross Body Tote Bag
- One fat quarter piece of fabric 18” by 20” for the exterior and tabs
- One fat quarter piece of fabric 18” by 20” for the interior lining
- One fat quarter piece of fabric 18” by 20” for the pockets
- 1/4 yard of Essex Linen or other fabric for the top panels and straps
- 1 yard of interfacing or fusible fleece like Pellon SF101 Shape-flex
- One zipper, 8” or longer
- One magnetic snap – check our resources page for our recommended hardware suppliers
- Three D-rings (two for the shoulder strap, one for the interior ring to clip things on)
- One or two swivel snap clips (for a convertible strap)
Click here for the pattern