The Sutherland Backpack is a full-size backpack sewing pattern perfect for students, moms, work, and travel. It can be made in a combination of vinyl/cork and cotton or all in cotton, which makes the Sutherland domestic machine friendly.
- Full-size Backpack,
- Two Main Zipper Compartments,
- Padded/Contoured Shoulder Strap option,
- Grab-n-go handle,
- One Back Exterior Zipper Pocket,
- One Lining Zipper Pocket,
- Two Interior Slip Pockets.
Experienced (if you’ve sewn a bowler bag with binding then you can sew a Sutherland).
17″ (43 cm) high by 14″ (36 cm) wide by 5.5″ (14 cm) deep.
There’s a YouTube video tutorial from the designer:
And a YouTube video tutorial from Bean’s Bags & Handicrafts Co.
Hardware and supplies:
- 4-6 Rivets (or Chicago Screws),
• 6-7mm for thinner fabrics or,
• 8-9mm for thicker fabrics,
- 2.25 yards (230 cm) #5 or #3 Zipper Tape + 6 Zipper Pulls
(or 4 Zipper Pulls if you are not doing double pulls on the two main compartments),
- Two 1” (25 mm) O-Rings, D-Rings or Rectangle Rings,
- Two 1” (25 mm) Tri-Glides/Strap Sliders,
- Rotary cutter or scissors,
- Double-sided tape,
- Removable marking pen,
- Grid Ruler,
- Cutting Mat,
- Rivet setter tool or rivet press.
- 1 yard (100 cm) Approx of exterior fabric,
- 2 yards (200 cm) Approx of lining fabric.
- 2 1/2 yards (250 cm) Approx. Lightweight woven fusible interfacing (Pellon ShapeFlex SF101 or Sew Fuse).
* Woven interfacing not required when using vinyl/cork/waterproof canvas
- 5 yards (500 cm) Bias Binding if making your own. Cotton 2” W (5cm) or Waterproof Canvas: 1” W (2.5CM),
- 5 Yards (500 cm) Approx. x 1/2” W (13 MM) Double Fold Bias Binding if not making your own.
- 1/2 yard (50 cm) Approx. Pellon Flex Foam Stabilizer FF78F1 or Decovil Light or two layers of Sew Fuse Plus,
- 1/4 yard (25 cm) Decovil Heavy 526.
Additional fabric/stabilizer requirements for padded strap option:
- 1/2 yard (50 cm) Approx exterior fabric,
- 1/2 yard (50 cm) Approx lining fabric,
- 2.25 yards (210 cm) bias binding,
- 1/2 yard (50cm) approx. Pellon Flex Foam Stabilizer FF78F1 or FF79F2.
Includes step-by-step written instructions with photographs with a video sewing tutorial via YouTube channel.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.