The Side Hustle is the perfect bag for taking care of business. It has an internal padded laptop sleeve, fully enclosed lining seams and a luggage sleeve on the exterior. Use it for work, college, school, or your ‘side hustle’. The possibilities are endless!
This messenger bag is perfect for carrying your laptop and files to the office, school or university. It’s designed for laptops up to 15″, has plenty of pockets, including an internal padded laptop sleeve, front and back slip pockets on the exterior, and a zip pocket inside. The sewing pattern will guide you through how to add a luggage sleeve to slip over your suitcase handle for when you’re travelling, and has instructions for two carry handle options – the top handles, which slip down inside the pockets when you don’t need them, and an optional crossbody strap.
The Side Hustle is classified as an advanced level bag sewing pattern.
15.5″ x 10.5″ x 3.5″ (39.5 cm x 26.5 cm x 9 cm). It was designed with a 15″ laptop in mind, but the designer says you could adjust it to fit other sizes of laptop. The designer provides help for adjusting your pattern.
What materials do I need?
- 1 5/8 yd (1.5m) Exterior,
- 2/3 yd (0.6m) Contrast yd (0.6m) Contrast,
- 1 yd (1m) Lining,
- 1 yd (1m) Foam stabiliser,
- 3 1/4 yd (3m) Medium weight interfacing (90cm (1yd) wide narrower will need more),
- 3” x 12” (7.5cm x 30.5cm) Bag base (or thin cutting mat),
- (1) 8″ (20cm) #3 Dressmaking Zip – If using continuous zipper, cut to 10” (25cm) long to match lining,
- (1) 22″ (56cm) #5 Zip (double or single pull) – If using continuous zipper, cut to 24” (61cm) long to match exterior,
- (6) 1/2″ (12mm) domed purse feet,
- (2) 1″ (25mm) triangle rings,
- (4) 1″ (25mm) rectangular rings,
- (2) 1 1/2 ” (38mm) swivel snap hooks,
- (1) 1 1/2 ” (38mm) strap slider,
- (18) Medium double cap rivets (Optional),
- Double sided basting tape,
- Zip foot & Walking foot,
- Wonder clips,
- Fray check,
- Pressing cloth,
- Pinking shears,
- Duct tape.
The Side Hustle bag sewing pattern features easy-to-read comprehensive instructions, pattern pieces, and colour photographs. Please note that rectangular pattern pieces are not provided, instead measurements are given for the rectangles. The downloadable PDF pattern features printable pattern pieces for the shaped pieces and a text only section to save on ink and paper costs.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.