Here’s a quick Tote Bag Purse with a few options for the handles. This project is a great way to learn about new hardware and try different sizes! This is a beginner-friendly pattern and can be made with regular cotton fabrics, vinyl, cork or leather, or a combination of them all.
If you prefer to watch rather than follow written instructions, this video was recorded live of Lauren sewing her namesake purse. Check out how you turn this bag through the lining pocket rather than a hole in the bottom of the bag lining for a neater finish.
The pattern includes advice on picking the right handle length, several different options for handle connections, instruction for both slip pockets and zipper pockets (which you can use inside on the lining or on the outside of the purse).
- 17″ wide,
- 11″ tall,
- 5″ deep.
- 1/2 Yard Exterior Fabric (Canvas or Quilting Cotton),
- 1/8 Yard Contrasting Fabric (for Vinyl Handles and base),
- 1/2 Yard Lining Fabric (Quilting Cotton or Waterproof Canvas),
- 1 Yard Woven Interfacing, such as Wovenfuse or Pellon SF101,
- 1/2 Yard Non-Woven Interfacing, such as Pellon 809 Decor-Bond or Decovil Light or Fusible Foam,
- 1/8 Yard Stabilizer, such as Peltex 71F or Decovil Heavy,
- 1 – 16” Handbag Zipper (16” If using zipper by the yard),
- 1 – 7” or longer all-purpose Zipper (10” If using zipper by the yard),
- 5 – Purse Feet,
- Strap Connector Hardware Options:
- 4 – 1” Triangle Strap Anchors OR,
- 4 – 1” Square Rings OR,
- 4 – 1” to 3/4” Dual Strap Connector (allows crossbody strap to attach without sewing on additional hardware.) OR,
- 4 – ¾” Square Rings.
1.5 hours to 3 hours on average.
14 pages in total with 9 of instructions and 5 of pattern pieces. Measurements are included on the pattern pieces if you prefer to cut with a rotary cutter instead of using pattern pieces.
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern. Please download immediately after check out.