This sewing pattern shows you how to create a beautiful barrel style bag with a big feature zip foldover flap which opens up to reveal a huge main compartment with three slip pockets for your valuables.
A large front pocket under the flap handily holds your phone, and there are two roomy side pockets too.
If you haven’t worked with vinyl before, this is the perfect pattern. Skill level is suitable for someone who has made a few bags before through to intermediate level. I’ll give you hints and tips all the way through on sewing with vinyl, even if it’s your first time.
I’ll even show you how to simply make these rolled handles that look so professional (or you can use stitch on handles if you wish)
Fully lined throughout, the bag has a flat base and the suggested interlinings mean the bag stands alone and holds its shape beautifully.
Great for everyday use, it’s generous enough to hold an iPad and your everyday essentials.
A few months ago, Janome UK asked me to create a masterpiece bag pattern for their 50th Anniversary, and the launch of their Atelier 6 Sewing Machine (Skyline S6 in the US), and this big beauty was the result. We wanted to showcase the decorative stitches that our machines are capable of yet we hardly use. I think this feature flap and side pockets illustrates that perfectly. Decorate how you like, or leave the stitching off, the choice is yours.
Approximate finished dimensions:
30 x 25cm (12 x 10”)
27 pages of full colour tutorial style instructions with detailed photos. Comprehensive instructions with full colour photography throughout walks you through every step of make-up to produce a professional quality shoulder bag. Lots of bag making hints and tips included.
❤ Full sized computer drafted PDF pattern pieces included
❤ All measurements given in inches and cm (US & UK friendly)
❤ Complete, easy to follow instructions
❤ Full colour photos for every step
❤ Relevant sewing tips
❤ A list of material requirements and suggestions
❤ Printer friendly. Prints on US letter size or A4 paper
• Outer fabric ¾ m (¾ yard) – Vinyl
• Print cotton for outer panels ¼ m (1/3 yard)
• Lining ¾ m (1 yard) – Quilt weight cottons.
• Medium weight fusible interlining 1.25m (1½ yard) – I use Vilene F220.
• Non-Fusible foam ¼ m (1/3 yard) – eg Annies soft and stable, Bosal, Pellon Flex Foam
• Extra firm interfacing 30 x 13cm (12 x 6”) – Decovil or Pellon 71F Peltex.
• 3mm piping cord 30cm (12”)
• 1 x #5 nylon zip 16” or longer
• 4 x 1” rectangular rings
• 102cm (40”) PVC or rubber tubing, outer diameter approx 1cm (3/8”) wide for handles
• (Optional) Stitch on handles 24” or longer– if you don’t want to make your own.
• 4 x ½” Bag feet
Please note this is a digital download PDF file, not a paper sewing pattern.